Author Topic: Vehicle information sought  (Read 3097 times)

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
Re: Vehicle information sought
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
Joe,

As Daniel and others pointed out, there really isn't anything out there that is mass produced except for the Kato Volvo.  Those can be improved with some detailing (such as the DeLuxe decal set) and larger wheels (from the Atlas LNT 9000) as shown on the N Scale Vehicles Associaton's home page.  But then what do you do with the container and chassis?   :D

http://nscalevehicles.org/ 

I would certainly contact James Will as Bryan suggested to see what he can do for you.  He came through for another limited run producer who needed a specific vehicle made.

Carter
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:13:45 AM by cfritschle »
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »
Willmodels is currently working on a line of trucks based on a common chassis. This chassis will be made in different lengths and configurations but lacking any specific detail so they can be used for a variety of trucks from different eras and manufacturers. The whole idea being that adding a new truck to the line will simply be a matter of producing a new cab and other specific components such as sleepers, etc. The concept is still in development so the release of our first kit is still a little ways out there.

Once we reach a level of confidence in the product's workability and release our first kit: a Peterbilt 377 (not 277, Daniel), the list of truck types will be fairly extensive. And because of the way we create our masters, new truck types will be produced much quicker than most model manufacturers, so (if all goes according to plans) you're not going to have to wait years for the next product.

These will not be solid castings, our preliminary test models have been very encouraging with hollow cabs, interiors and glazing.
James R. Will

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 09:27:50 PM »
Once we reach a level of confidence in the product's workability and release our first kit: a Peterbilt 377 (not 277, Daniel), the list of truck types will be fairly extensive. And because of the way we create our masters, new truck types will be produced much quicker than most model manufacturers, so (if all goes according to plans) you're not going to have to wait years for the next product.

These will not be solid castings, our preliminary test models have been very encouraging with hollow cabs, interiors and glazing.

Jimmo, my wallet is on high alert,but SWMBO (wife) says I have to finish my stash of your vehicles before you can sell me anymore. :(
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »
Jimmo, my wallet is on high alert,but SWMBO (wife) says I have to finish my stash of your vehicles before you can sell me anymore. :(

Just hide 'em, they're small. Get creative.
James R. Will

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »
Just hide 'em, they're small. Get creative.

Waiting for your big rigs,I have way to many old tractors pulling modern trailers.Hope to order some Z from you by early May plus some more grain trailers.I've already spent my allowance on Z. :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »
Waiting for your big rigs,I have way to many old tractors pulling modern trailers.Hope to order some Z from you by early May plus some more grain trailers.I've already spent my allowance on Z. :D

See that's your problem Johnathan, your scale-jumping has caused you to split your (already) tiny hobby budget, now neither scale gets the goods in the quantity that you want. You need to focus my friend.
James R. Will

The Beer Baron

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • The Inverness and Richmond Railway
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
53' trailers is the one major hole unfilled for the modern n scale modeler.

Deluxe Innovations Trailers
Drew
Chief Operations Officer
The Inverness and Richmond Railway

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
I remember one conversation I had with a long haul trucker that brought California cotton to our textile plant.  He was a great fellow and often joked around with all of us, rarely falling for an attempt at a joke if the shoe was on the other foot, so I took advantage of a situation when he came in one night and started talking lomg about how bad he had been wanting a Peterbilt (no "U") amd the next day he was going to finally get a Peterbilt....

The canteen was full of grave yard workers but I really didn't care... being a bit of a jokester when I was younger I took advantage of the opportunity.

I turned to him and said, "So your getting a Petergilt, huh?  I always thought men truck drivers already had one!!!

The canteen burst out laughing and the folks were rather proud of me to finally succeed at pulling one over on him.  He did get his Peterbilt and it was a beauty but he really had a hard time living down the prank that I pulled... Although it was nearly 25 years ago but it remains one of the best pranks I ever pulled.

Now I don't model modern but if I did I would be wanting Freightliners... in as much because after a couple of jobs that I worked after I left the textile mill I went to work for Molded Fiber Glass, the plan nearly exclusively made Freightliner roof caps.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »
You need to focus my friend.

Cat(t)s don't like to focus, unless its something they want to pounce on!

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »

Unfortunately, many of the items in the Deluxe catalog, including these trailers, have become vaporware. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:34:13 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 09:33:01 PM »

Those are from the long ago sold out run. As for new runs as Gary said, vaporware. Deluxe has had issues with having to switch manufactures and has been unable to get their molds back. It's unfortunate, as I really like the DL versions, and would love to get more.

So many empty spine cars and FJ89's running around  :(

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 02:31:56 AM »
It's unfortunate, as I really like the DL versions, and would love to get more.

I just checked the bay of E and found 7 or 8 of them NIP, if you're interested.
James R. Will

Nilmadic

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 03:08:24 AM »
Not trying to step on Jimmo's toes... :scared:...cause I like his stuff a lot...but there's always this:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/493566/peterbilt-379-sleeper-nscale.html?li=productBox-search

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 11:29:39 AM »
Having bought several of Stony's car frame loads, and his track mobile, I can attest to his quality design work. If Jimmo isn't going to do one of these, I'd say Stony is worth the money.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B