Author Topic: BLW Sharks  (Read 1196 times)

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
BLW Sharks
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:46:57 AM »
I recently won an auction on Ebay for  V-Line Sharknose A and B shells that were supposed to have Kato RS-2 mechanisms (the mechanism for the B unit was pictured, the A unit mechanism was in the shell). When they arrived, the mechanism under the shell was (surprise!) an older Atlas Kato RS-3 instead. I know this was the typical mechanism installed in these by people, but is it really the correct bolster span? It is a really nice shell painted for the PRR and the wheelbase of the RS-3 looks right under it, but data I can find suggests a shorter bolster span.

Carolina Northern

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
Re: BLW Sharks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
So you're the one who beat me on that auction.
I'm not an expert on the various wheelbases, but I've been happy with LifeLike FA2 chassis on my sharks.
The V-line body takes a little cutting on the chassis, but sits and looks good to the eye. I've put them under the V-line and the ER Models bodies. The headlight can be a little tricky, but overall, a good match.

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »
You have recourse on e-bay to return items misrepresented by the seller for a full refund!  Do it, please.

johnh35

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »
You have recourse on e-bay to return items misrepresented by the seller for a full refund!  Do it, please.

I sent an inquiry to the seller and received a reply that indicates that he was unaware that the chassis under the A shell was different from the RS-2 chassis. Considering the price was reasonable, I do not plan to return it. However, I am not thrilled with the running qualities of the old Atlas RS3 so I will probably just keep the RS2 mechanism and sell the shells and the RS3 mechanism. I had thought about repowering it with an FA2 mechanism, but that would just be throwing more money at it.

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 03:41:23 PM »
John,
I have a spare undec. Kato RS2 shell if you want it.
Email me.
Clint

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »
John35,
I was on them as well but have so many now that I set my limit and that is where I stopped. You really did get a good bargain. The sharks initially were made by V Line while I believe the B Unit was made by Raintree Products, No longer made. You can get additional shells from Delux who own the moulds now. They are closer to being RF15s not RF16s because of a number of defining attributes. I have used RS3s under a number of mine now for years but have recently switched to the split frame LL FA2s. Now getting very hard to find or so it seems as they have become a very popular model. I was informed that the RS3 AAR Trucks are very slightly too long for the Sharks. I can wear that. I do own one that I bought on eBay from a mate of mine that weighs a ton. It was owned by his mate who wanted to sell it so he was happy that it went to Australia because every year at the local club pulling contest this thing would out pull the lot. Now he wins with his model.

I am going to replace the ER Shark mechs with the LL FA2 mechs.

I am currently working on a casting that will replace the RS3 fuel tank with a correct model that will just clip on.

If you want further info on the sharks PM me with a email address and I will share whatever info I have.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »
Guys,
I have 2 x Vline RF15/RF16 A unit shells that I was going to power and paint D&H.
They are unpainted. So if anyone is after any. Please let me know.

Re the repower of the ER units with FA mech's.. Now theres an idea. I have both so may have a look at that.
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »

Just some of my V Line Sharks in their nest. I think all up there were about eleven somewhere (2 X ABBA 1 X AA and 1 X A) in that photo but the pack has gruesome.

PM me if you are still interested in sell off the locos. I have a US address you can send to if required,

Regards

Al
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:39:48 PM by Alwyn Cutmore »
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »
Johnh35,