Author Topic: Getting popup in the crew lounge but ok in N scale  (Read 1745 times)

up1950s

• Crew
Getting popup in the crew lounge but ok in N scale
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:05:10 AM »
It is always Conrail1285 , I logged out and cleaned system , but It comes up when in the Crew Lounge when I go to another page in any thread there . We don't have such a person listed ! I just checked the world wide web , it's Ed's K's handle ...................Ed is invading the Railwire , maybe a double agent !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1024 size https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xFHyD9aoW6g/UQeBz-WCURI/AAAAAAAAOf0/a_PVNxE_xbk/s1024/untitled.JPG
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 03:23:36 AM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
Re: Getting popup in the crew lounge but ok in N scale
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:23:41 AM »
This is one of the links in Ed K's signature.  Did you click on it inadvertently?  I don't see why it should pop up spontaneously.

-gfh

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »
This is one of the links in Ed K's signature.  Did you click on it inadvertently?  I don't see why it should pop up spontaneously.

-gfh

Not that I know of , as stated I even signed out , cleaned my system , and it still happened . I shut down to get some sleep but couldn't . Re-cranked up and it no longer happens . PFM I guess .

Richie Dost

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 06:42:23 AM »
Well, I think I get what is happening, but I don't understand why it's happening.  Ed must have been maintaining his site earlier, which meant that the site was closed for a while.  (When I tried to follow the link earlier it asked me for credentials, but not just now.  However, in neither case did I get a spontaneous pop-up.)

A similar thing happened to Chris333 a few days ago with Traincat's site.  Bob responded then that his site had been down for maintenance.

So the only question is: why do some browsers feel the need to pop open a login window when a site link on that page is requiring credentials?  I never got those pop-ups, even though I would be asked for credentials if I clicked the link.

Someone here knows the answer, I'm sure.  BTW, I think Ritchie and Chris are both Windows/IE users.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:01:02 AM »

So the only question is: why do some browsers feel the need to pop open a login window when a site link on that page is requiring credentials?  I never got those pop-ups, even though I would be asked for credentials if I clicked the link.

Someone here knows the answer, I'm sure.  BTW, I think Ritchie and Chris are both Windows/IE users.

You might be onto something. When at work I have to use IE to access bunch of internal sites which require my Windows login credentials. This authentication happens transparently - I just go to a website and I'm automatically allowed to view its contents.   But if I try to go to the same URL using another browser, it asks me to present my credentials and even if I type them in, it fails to authenticate me.  So the IE, does "stuff" in the background.  It would be interesting to see if Richie could try using another browser to see what happens.
. . . 42 . . .

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 07:35:17 AM »
I generally stay on Roadrunner , if the popup popups again I will change the browser to see if it still farts .

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 04:01:12 PM »
There is a browser called Roadrunner?  I've heard of Mozilla, Seamonkey, Firefox, but not Roadrunner.  :?
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »
. . . 42 . . .

johnhale

• Crew
    • New Haven RR in N Scale
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
The problem is probably Ed K.'s avatar. Odds are it is running of his site, when the page loads, your browser tried to load the image and because of something he was doing made it prompt you to log in.

John
John Hale
1960's era New Haven Railroad

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
Could be, but I wasn't asked for credentials until I directly clicked on conrail1285.  I suppose that could be browser-specific though.