Author Topic: Conrail Quality question  (Read 946 times)

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
Conrail Quality question
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »
If there's any forum to ask this question on I figure this is it.  There's enough of you who drink the Conrail cool-aid around here.   :)

I was watching a DVD that showed Conrail units over the Pittsburgh Division.  I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way the "Conrail Quality" was applied.  All units where this was a new paint scheme have the CQ logo to the right side of the words on both sides of the loco.  Units where Conrail Quality replaces just the Conrail logo though are a mixed bag.  When I searched through more photos, I found sometimes the CQ logo was to the left of the lettering on both sides of the unit, sometimes it was towards the back of the unit on both sides and sometimes it was to the front of the unit on both sides.  Also the entire logo appears to have at least 2 different sizes . . . though on Dash 8-40CWs the logo seems bigger than on any other locos.  My question then is, was there any attempt at standardization or was it just left up to the shop doing the repaint on how they wanted to do it?

. . . and, er, yes, I've sampled a little of the cool-aid too.   :)

Thanks,
Erik

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
Re: Conrail Quality question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
My dad being a Conrail cool-aid drinker, he has basically come up with the same consensus. Sometimes the Q is on the front of the loco, others at the rear.  As for multiple sizes, yup, even on the same class of locos.

As for the Dash 8s, believe GE used a bigger logo than EMD and Conrail.

One of these days I'd like to get a pair of Conrail units to use as pool power, seen SD50s in the BN coal lines along with SD40-2Rs.  Probably do one of each.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »
No real rhyme or reason, they just slapped em on there.

Keep in mind, only a few classes came from the plants with them. The C40-8Ws were the first, the the wide cab SD60s (ms and is). Then the 80macs and 70 variants.

Everything else that wore them were repaints.

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
Ike, Ed,

Thanks for the info.  I figured since most of the new logo was added locally that it was done in a less than standard way. 

Any idea what the difference in these decal sets is? 

Diesel - Conrail Quality Scheme - Painted By Conrail (1995+)
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=60-987&Product_Count=&Category_Code=
CR Diesels - Conrail Quality
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=60-740&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

There's more variety than at first glance for a late Conrail fleet.

Erik

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
So is that an indication of Conrail Quality...spotty at best? :D
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »
So is that an indication of Conrail Quality...spotty at best? :D
Ha!  Yes.  Reminds me of looking at people's resumes that have "detail oriented" misspelled.

Erik
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:53:44 PM by Erik W »