Author Topic: Rapido Osgood Bradley's in N scale  (Read 7468 times)

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: Rapido Osgood Bradley's in N scale
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 02:21:44 PM »
"Once I get my hands on them, I will pull them behind Lehigh Valley PA's."

As is or kitbashed to match the prototype, which had ends and roofs more like lightweight cars?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1696
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 03:44:44 PM »
A number of New Haven paint schemes and body configurations for me.  And maybe a kitbash of a BAR baggage car, which looked so cool in the gray and blue scheme.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
................. And maybe a kitbash of a BAR baggage car, which looked so cool in the gray and blue scheme.

Brian,
What car is this you are talking about? Might be something I would like to try as well.

Jon

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »
Jon,

It's in the BAR Freight/Passenger Color Guide.  That's the only pic I've seen of the prototype.  I don't think BAR had that many, and those are the only Pullman-Bradley cars they had AFAIK.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »
I know there were both 10 and 11 window versions of this car.  Can someone refresh my memory on which railroads owned them?

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »
Jon,

It's in the BAR Freight/Passenger Color Guide.  That's the only pic I've seen of the prototype.  I don't think BAR had that many, and those are the only Pullman-Bradley cars they had AFAIK.

The BAR Had 4 of the RPO/baggage Osgood Bradley cars, purchased in two orders, three in the first and one in the second. 566-569, 566 and 567 are pictured in color in the Northern New England color guide on page 59 in the blue and grey scheme. There is a picture of 568 in black and white while in the green scheme in Liljestrand and Sweetland's Passenger Cars of New England vol. 2. The first order also included three Coach-Dinettes and two of the 84 seat ten window coaches.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »
I know there were both 10 and 11 window versions of this car.  Can someone refresh my memory on which railroads owned them?

I only know that New Haven had both in large numbers.  The 10-window is the intercity coach and the 11-window is the commuter coach.  I don't know the specifics on what the other roads had.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 05:49:04 PM »
Did a search and found my answer.

The Worcester factory is popularly remembered as the manufacturer of a distinctive streamliner passenger car during the 1930s. Walter Dorwin Teague designed a rounded aircraft-style body for railway cars manufactured of Cor-Ten steel. These cars weighed 15 tons less than conventional heavyweight steel cars. It was hoped these attractive lightweight cars might encourage public use of rail transportation while offering improved economy to the railway companies. New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad purchased the first of these cars in 1934. Other purchasers included Boston and Maine Railroad, Bangor and Aroostook Railroad, Kansas City Southern Railway, Seaboard Air Line Railroad, Saint Louis Southwestern Railroad, and Lehigh Valley Railroad. A. C. Gilbert Company, with New Haven trains running past their factory, decided to produce models of this car for their American Flyer toy train sets. Thousands of these toys were produced from 1946 to 1958; and railfans used the name American Flyer to describe the streamlined cars made by Osgood Bradley.[1]

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »
Osgood Bradley was acquired by Pullman before the cars were delivered to New Haven.  The name of the company at the time the cars were built actually was Pullman Bradley, and the official name of the cars is Pullman Bradley Light Weights.  Rapido mis-identified the prototype.  But they can call them "American Flyer" cars for all I care, as long as accurate models are released.

Osgood Bradley was famous for building stage coaches long before Pullman acquired it and before the PBLWs appeared.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:06:04 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jmlaboda

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 11:02:17 PM »
"But they can call them 'American Flyer' cars for all I care, as long as accurate models are released."

Jason told me once that they don't due to some sort of copyright issue with the name and Lionel's ownership.

Shots of all BAR car types can be found at the Passenger Car Photo Index...
http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/B2.htm#BAR
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:06:31 PM by jmlaboda »

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +1607
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 12:52:14 AM »
I would love to see a streamlined NH I-5 to pull these cars.  In the meantime, I have a pair of green pin-stiped PAs ready to lead these cars.

Doug.

jmlaboda

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 04:03:23 AM »
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:15:23 PM by jmlaboda »

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +393
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
As is or kitbashed to match the prototype, which had ends and roofs more like lightweight cars?

Jerry, good question!  I will have to see how much energy I have after 'bashing some of the other LV cars.  So many projects, so little time.

Frank

jmlaboda

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 06:18:21 PM »
Frank, maybe this might be a little encouragement... found it on George Elwood's site early this morning...
http://rr-fallenflags.org/lv/lv-WBpt-rpc.jpg

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
I was always told that the American Flyer name was strictly a rail fan moniker for these cars simply because this was the car chosen by Gilbert for his passenger sets. Someone on Shapeways has one of these in N but as far as I know they have never released it for sale. :(

I would like to get some of these cars (not Rapido's I can't afford them) for a excursion train on my layout.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made