Author Topic: Questions about PRR RPOs  (Read 12168 times)

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
Re: Questions about PRR RPOs
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2013, 02:48:08 AM »
Cody,
Even if I was goin to repaint the model I would given the area where there is print a once over with fine wet and dry and the, prime it ready for the final coat. Because there is so much of the model in one colour I would not even upset it. just try and remove the edges of the lettering and then paint it. Decal over the top and I would defy any if not most to pick that you have not stripped the model.
Regards
Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »
I don't get what your saying. If I'm replacing the doors with styrene with porthole windows, I will have to paint the doors... I see it being harder to get a hold of the paint that Walther's used than to just strip and repaint the car. Besides, the color does look a bit odd, plus it matters more that I know that the car is one coherent color.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »
Email Walthers and ask them what the paint match is.  They might even be nice and send you a jar.  Just sayin'... :D

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2013, 11:54:08 AM »
Well at least repainting PRR head end equpment is easier than doing coaches or sleepers.  Don't have to fool with those yellow stripes.

Unrelated head end question.  I just picked up a B&O C-16 express green wagontop.  Does anyone know is these cars may have run in PRR mail/express trains?  Have never seen photos of this and since the B&O ran to most of the same places PRR did, I kind of doubt it. 

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
Email Walthers and ask them what the paint match is.  They might even be nice and send you a jar.  Just sayin'... :D

Hmm, I never even thought of that. I doubt they'd send me a jar, but who knows...

This leads me to a new question...
If I were to go with poly scale paints anyway, would PRR Maroon or PRR Tuscan Red be an appropriate (and prototypical?) color?

-Cody F.
Tired.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »
I've used both paints in the past and even some others I can't remember.  Look at color photos of PRR passenger cars (and locos and freight for that matter) and most times they looked like they used a different paint.  Time, grime, which shop painted the cars, etc could lead to different hues on tuscn red paint so I wouldn't worry about getting exact matches on all your cars.

Check the paint on difference model manufactures - Kato Broadway Limited cars don't look the same as IM PRR cars. 

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2013, 04:34:55 PM »
I've used both paints in the past and even some others I can't remember.  Look at color photos of PRR passenger cars (and locos and freight for that matter) and most times they looked like they used a different paint.  Time, grime, which shop painted the cars, etc could lead to different hues on tuscn red paint so I wouldn't worry about getting exact matches on all your cars.

Check the paint on difference model manufactures - Kato Broadway Limited cars don't look the same as IM PRR cars.

I've notice that, wondered about it, and chalked it up to varying perceptions of prototype colors, especially with age/weather and such as you mentioned.

Doing a quick web dig (Surprised?  :trollface: ), I see some people writing it up that PRR coaching stock was painted Tuscan Red, and others say Maroon...

Can anyone clarify...
I have a bit of a list going with a couple other poly scale paints on there, but not much money, so I'd like to get the "right" paint to use.

I figure that since I'm kitbashing the car, I mind as well go ahead and repaint it, that way it is more unique than the other Walther's baggage cars out there.

-Cody F.
Tired.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:25 PM »
Nothing can get a fight started between PRR fans than what color they painted equipment.  Do a check here because I think it's been covered a few times in the past.   l always called it Tuscan Red.  There are some boxcar brown model railroad paints which even come close if you add a little red to it.  Maroon looks a little too red to me for PRR.  The older FOM colors has 2 tuscan colors and the one I would call maroon.  You also hve to watch what paint to use for lettering.  They used a gold color and then an imitation gold and they yellor for lettering over the years.  Toulon red was another color used on keystones very late in PRR years.

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
Cody,

What I was saying was that I would not strip the car at all. Using wet and dry very fine, 800 to 1200 grit, sand paper in water I would rub back the area where they have printed the Pennsylvania and any other printing. This will either remove the print or soften the edges enough so that when you paint over the top you will not see the printing. Then when you have the car the colour you want decal it with those you have selected.

I do not try to tell anyone what colour to paint.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Australia

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2013, 05:35:23 PM »
Nothing can get a fight started between PRR fans than what color they painted equipment.  Do a check here because I think it's been covered a few times in the past.   l always called it Tuscan Red.  There are some boxcar brown model railroad paints which even come close if you add a little red to it.  Maroon looks a little too red to me for PRR.  The older FOM colors has 2 tuscan colors and the one I would call maroon.  You also hve to watch what paint to use for lettering.  They used a gold color and then an imitation gold and they yellor for lettering over the years.  Toulon red was another color used on keystones very late in PRR years.

I'll go with Tuscan Red then. Especially since the car will be behind a pair of F-3s. Thanks for the info.

-Cody F.
Tired.

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:26 PM »
I received the CCS 85' RPOs to-day and there is more to the conversion than first thought. Some detail need to be duplicated onto the roof but I will not progress with that here. Cody If you want to get an idea on cutting out the doors watch for my thread that I started on the BM85/85a
Regards
Al
Al Cutmore
Australia

Altoona

• Crew
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2013, 11:36:28 PM »
The last I heard about the correct paint for tuscan red is poly s frieght car red see <http://pennsyrr.com/modeling/86-modeling/172-model-paints-to-match-prr-paints>

R
Judd Barton