Author Topic: Atlas 3-way switch  (Read 3045 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Atlas 3-way switch
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
I have a couple of them,pretty sure they say "Atlas Italy" on them..I have a double slip,too,only one I've ever seen.I also have a few switches,#8 or so,they actually have working,rotating targets on them,pretty cool..I also have a few later ones just like them,but just the spot where the target was is there,a filled in hole..

I wonder if it was made by Rivarossi (for Atlas)?

Shinohara also made a code 70 3-way switch (I have one).  In that one, the points and frogs are staggered.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 12:34:20 AM »
I had one of these once as well.  Never had a use for it, and don't know what became of it, but I had one.  I doubt that there was ever a prototype for the point setup, unless it was one of the "kick switches" used in mine trams.  The prototype 3-ways I've seen were either two turnouts overlapped, like the Shinohara Peteski mentions, or stub turnouts, of which I once laid one.  In Nn3 no less.  It works fine, but again, I have no use for it. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »
I wonder if it was made by Rivarossi (for Atlas)?

Shinohara also made a code 70 3-way switch (I have one).  In that one, the points and frogs are staggered.

My suspicion it was made by Rivarossi for Atlas. The 3-way I had was branded for Atlas and had the same switch machines and controllers as their standard Snap switches. This one might be a Roco. Fleischmann has had one for a while, and now there is even a 3-Way from Tomix. Peco has a Code 55 version, which is lapped much like the Shinohara.

RAILCAT

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 10:10:08 AM »
The track is made by Roco. They still sell similar items now sold under the Fleischmann brand
along with the Fleischmann Piccolo ready ballasted track system. 
Fleischmann is now part of the outfit that owns Roco.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 12:11:46 PM »
I'll have to dig mine out I guess.  I know it is Roco, as I stated.  It is in a Bright Orange and Blue box.
From memory, it looks like the one on the eBay link that DKS provided where he guessed it was Roco.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »
All of this sure brings back some memories. Minitrix and (Arnold) Rapido also made N scale track but I don't recall if they had 3-way turnouts.

Speaking of complicated trackwork, IMO (for ready-to-use track)  Peco makes the best looking single and double slip switches. They actually look close to the 1:1 versions (unlike the other brand slip switches).
. . . 42 . . .