Author Topic: Broken Handrails  (Read 1321 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1886
Broken Handrails
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »
Forum,

This weekend, I managed to break at least two of the handrails on an Atlas B23-7 (Family Lines (SCL) #5100) while removing the shell.  Unfortunately, I didn't use my usually method of popping the shell off, and the hood separated from the walkway.  In doing so, the handrails broke where they connected to the cab.  :x

I'm not a point where I can paint undecorated handrails, nor do I want to get into trying to fabricate new handrails.  Either way, i would never get a good match for the paint.  I would rather just find a new replacement shell, if I can't get new painted handrails.  But, unfortunately, Atlas isn't offering replacement shells for the B23-7.  Does anyone know if it is possible to order painted handrails from Atlas?  I haven't found a way to do that.

Heh, for that matter, I have at least two other shells that could use replacement handrails, to revive them from the scrap heap.  I would assume that there's some of you have the same problem.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: Broken Handrails
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:14:44 AM »
You cannot order painted handrail sets from Atlas.*

Any thought to just gluing the existing ones back?   There are plenty of glues out there now that supposedly will glue delrin.   I suppose there will be a crack visible that would need to be touched up but I guess that's better than painting an entire handrail set.  (or is it?   Again, new technology out there...paints that stick to delrin better so you might want to research that)

You can search/watch eBay too for painted shells.  I get a daily watch e-mail for "Shell, n-scale category" and there's always new shells popping up.   Some are cheap, some are priced so you might as well try to find the entire locomotive on the cheap and you'll be better off.  (I've actually even seen entire Atlas locomotives sell for less than the shell.)

*While Atlas does not officially sell painted handrail sets, you might call/e-mail and ask them anyway.   They might have "warranty" sets that are painted.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
From time to time I have contacted Atlas about broken parts that are not listed in their catalog. They do have parts to make repairs. Contact them and explain the situation. They have been most helpful to me. There were times they didn't have what I needed, but other times they sent the parts right out.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +1974
    • DKS Home
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:19 AM »
There's also an eBay supplier that sells gobs of Atlas and Kato replacement parts, including shells and handrails.
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »
Dave,you might check with this guy on Ebay,I'm guessing he is the same one DKS is refering to.

http://stores.ebay.com/That-Train-Place?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I've dealt with them a few times and recieved excellent service.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:01:32 PM by Catt »
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +1974
    • DKS Home
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 01:02:46 PM »
Dave,you might check with this guy on Ebay,I'm guessing he is the same one DKS is refering to.

Yes, that's the one.
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »
You cannot order painted handrail sets from Atlas.*

Any thought to just gluing the existing ones back?   There are plenty of glues out there now that supposedly will glue delrin.   I suppose there will be a crack visible that would need to be touched up but I guess that's better than painting an entire handrail set.  (or is it?   Again, new technology out there...paints that stick to delrin better so you might want to research that)

You can search/watch eBay too for painted shells.  I get a daily watch e-mail for "Shell, n-scale category" and there's always new shells popping up.   Some are cheap, some are priced so you might as well try to find the entire locomotive on the cheap and you'll be better off.  (I've actually even seen entire Atlas locomotives sell for less than the shell.)

*While Atlas does not officially sell painted handrail sets, you might call/e-mail and ask them anyway.   They might have "warranty" sets that are painted.

I really don't have any interest in trying to glue the broken handrails together.  That technology isn't new, and even if it is better nowadays, it's likely I would make a mess or the handrails would be even more fragile than before.  I'll try to save all of the parts, so that I can come back to this, if I change my mind.

I watch eBay, too, and I even bought an IM FP7 shell for a reasonable price recently to change a locomotive from one road that I don't presently run to something more akin to my current layout.  I'll keep an eye out for the necessary shell.  Thanks!

A Proud HOer

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »
From time to time I have contacted Atlas about broken parts that are not listed in their catalog. They do have parts to make repairs. Contact them and explain the situation. They have been most helpful to me. There were times they didn't have what I needed, but other times they sent the parts right out.

Thank you for that suggestion.  That could be helpful if nothing else pans out, but . . .

Thank you, DKS and Catt.  I briefly checked the site out for this vendor.  He does not have the shell that I need, but he has another that is even more appealing: a shell for the third Seaboard System B30-7 locomotive that I never bought.  I believe that I can use the B23-7 mechanism for the B30-7, although I will need a new set of trucks and a fuel tank for my application.  Those I can order from Atlas with a few other parts I need anyway.   Still loads cheaper than buying a whole new locomotive.

Thanks, all!
DFF

Edit: HAHA!  I found that the seller had all of the parts that I needed plus I bought a set of trucks to fix an SD35 that has been broken for years.  Total bill is less than the cost of a new locomotive including shipping, and I get two broken locomotives put back on the rails.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:23:21 PM by davefoxx »

A Proud HOer

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 01:06:44 AM »
I've emailed Atlas in the past about painted handrails, and they have offered me a shell for a reasonable price.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 07:54:04 AM »
I've emailed Atlas in the past about painted handrails, and they have offered me a shell for a reasonable price.

Was the shell a part that wasn't on their parts list as regularly available?  It would be nice for Atlas to offer more shells.

A Proud HOer

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 10:50:35 PM »
Was the shell a part that wasn't on their parts list as regularly available?  It would be nice for Atlas to offer more shells.

Yes, was told if I ordered, I'd have to leave a note for the person who I emailed to add the shell