Author Topic: 1958-62 GMC  (Read 1389 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
1958-62 GMC
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
Sylvan's offering a !958-62 GMC in HO.  Anyone interested should lobby/email Sylvan to release this model in N scale.  It would certainly fill a niche and provide some variety.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: 1958-62 GMC
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31:36 AM »
I thought he stopped doing N .

Richie Dost

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:39:50 AM »
At one of the shows in 2012 (?), and I think Daniel posted photos, he had some N scale products in development and it might have been mentioned that those might be the end of the line.  But those products still haven't surfaced and it doesn't hurt to ask.  If you ask, you have the chance of hearing "yes".  If you don't, the "no" in your head will be the only answer you hear.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
I've spoken with Clare ar the last couple of Amherst shows.
I keep asking for more N scale models and he keeps telling me how there is no market for N scale automotive resin model kits.  Ever time he tries to bring a kit to the market, it sells very poorly. He says that N scale modelers are not willing to paint and assemble models as everybody wants fully assembled and painted vehicles.  Judging from those conversations, chances are extremely slim that he will produce any more N scale vehicle kits.
. . . 42 . . .

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 11:56:52 PM »
I keep asking for more N scale models and he keeps telling me how there is no market for N scale automotive resin model kits.  Ever time he tries to bring a kit to the market, it sells very poorly. He says that N scale modelers are not willing to paint and assemble models as everybody wants fully assembled and painted vehicles.  Judging from those conversations, chances are extremely slim that he will produce any more N scale vehicle kits.

Clare's products are execellent.  The problem is that the prototypes for most of them were produced in pewter before he made them in resin.  He really needs to choose prototypes where he could offer a truly unique model, like the one Bryan wants.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:00:48 AM »
No offense to Clare, but his marketing in the past has been lacking.  The kits appear and that's about it and the mag ads, if there ever were any, never popped out at me and word of mouth only goes so far if you don't maintain it (um, hello Facebook?).  Given that Railwire and the NSVA are now "established" (and weren't during his initial releases) and excellent vehicles (pun intended) to get models further out into the market, perhaps a little more participation in the community would help, or designated pushers.  I'll pimp the GMC model like there's no tomorrow for a handful of freebies. 

Too, I think it would help if he generated some (re)interest in Sylvan by releasing a critical mass of products and/or a product placement article in one of the N rags.  Certainly trucks are needed, like the GMC, Crackerbox, H67, and the Cannonball for medium uses and to pull the mass of trailers other manufacturers are releasing - ride the wave.  Trailers are multiple sellers; his Pennsy shorty is nice but too prototype specific for many and we could use some larger rib sides that could be found on more lines than just the PRR or in non-RR use.  And he probably would score with a popular bus like a Scenic Cruiser or early GM Buffalo.  Given the lack of recent model releases, I think a lot of N scalers have forgotten about Sylvan and the earlier product line is likely languishing and not earning like it could be. 

What has been released are beautiful models. I have a pile of kits I need to build but I need variety and have enough of the body styles he's already released.  I need medium trucks with blank chassis for all sorts of usages (sell the boxes; flat, dump, and grain beds; and tanks separately rather than packaging models) AND 2 and 3 axle tractors, with and without sleepers.

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »

An associate of mine asked me to produce an N-scale model of a 1947 American LaFrance 700 closed cab pumper. Not wanting to duplicate models, I knew that Clare had produced one in HO-scale, so I asked if he had plans to produce one in N-scale.

Here's his response: "I do have the LaFrance 700 in my plans. I have the pattern for the cab done but I haven't done much else on the truck. I've been pretty busy lately and don't have a scheduled release date. It will likely be a year yet before I get it completed."

So, it's hard to say whether we will see more N-scale from Sylvan or not. I don't think he's ready to throw in the towel just yet.
James R. Will

The Dalles Hostler

• Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »
I've head it said, GM will not license models smaller than HO because their slimy lawyers are afraid if a child were to choke on an N-scale GM car model, the parents would sue GM for damages, based on the Deep Pocket theory. I assume that is why you only see Ford and Chrysler products produced in N-scale by MiniMetals, but not Chevy's or other GM models. Any truth to that explanation?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
The GM lawyers aren't any slimier than the lawyers for a plaintiff who would even contemplate suing GM for a child choking a a small model representing a GM vehicle (especially if the model came with a bold warning stating that it isn't a toy)..    That is just totally crazy!   Injury lawsuits in US have gotten totally out of hand!
. . . 42 . . .

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »
Please don't take this topic down the lawyer route.  It's been noted in numerous places GM won't license N scale models, so just call it "Bus" and be done with it. Let's keep talking about modeling and keep the lawyering and politics in the other forums..