Author Topic: De-oxidation stuff  (Read 1631 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1972
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: De-oxidation stuff
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 02:01:09 AM »
Most cleaners/corrosion inhibitors of the sort discussed on this thread leave an oily film on the track. That is because a film of oil on the metal surface provides a barrier for the oxygen in the air and that prevents the metal surface from oxidizing.

I'm not a fan of this type of cleaners. Oil will most likely decrease the pulling power of the locomotive (by decreasing friction coefficient between the rail and the wheels). Oil will also accumulate dirt and dust, which will then be deposited on the threads of all the wheels (especially plastic wheels).  So while such cleaners inhibit oxidation, they creates other problems.

This is one of those contentious subjects (like religion or politics). People have different opinions about how to keep their track and wheels clean and they are usually quite set in their views.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

rsn48

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »
Mystery solved for the "stuff."  I just glanced at this product then went on my way then started thinking about it so the reason I was so vague.  I assumed some one here would nail what it was and the answer is:

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1972
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
Ah, that stuff.  I have never used it (either on electronic equipment or on rails). THe online reviews are positive (for its intended use).

If you read the info on their website http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f  it mentions that it doesn't harm plastic, so you could try it on rails with plastic ties).  There is a Data Sheet PDF on that website which shows what ingredients are in this stuff (one proprietary of course).

I suppose it might work on rails. I wouldn't spray it though. I would either decant it from the spray or buy it in a non-aerosol liquid bottle.  If it was me, I would then use it in one of the N scale wet pad cleaning car systems, running the car around the layout.  I have a feeling that it will leave a moist residue on the rails (which IMO is not a good thing).  You might test for that by spraying some Deoxit on a non-absorbent surface (piece of glass or metal) and see if an oily film remains after the solvent/cleaner evaporates.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"