Author Topic: Modern Vehicles  (Read 4481 times)

Nilmadic

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Modern Vehicles
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »
I just wanted to get a general idea of weather people would be interested in modern vehicles in N scale? River Point Station makes great HO scale Ford vehicles. Is the N scale market too small to see these type of products? I have the Atlas f150 and explorer, but there does not appear to be much more. The willmodels vehicles from ebay are neat, but require a lot of finishing. Thoughts?

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +129
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Modern Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:38:55 PM »
I agree, although it's a little better - Atlas has some additional Fords that make sense in modern scenes,
Kato has some vehicles and a lot of European cars and trucks fit in the US/Canada.  Some Japanese 1/150th
models can also pass for 1/160th as well.

There is also GHQ, Willmodels, and Showcase Miniatures which is getting back into the game although with
older vehicles so far.

If you want a small project, check the link in my signature for my Shapeways MOW Decks which work with
Atlas or Willmodels cabs/chassis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1927
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »
Yes, N scale could use *LOTS* more modern (or for that matter any period) vehicles.

Here are few more modern ones that are already available:

Atlas Ford Taurus:

Atlas Ford Explorer

Kato Volvo tractor

BUSH Mercedes/Dodge Sprinter (this one has a custom paint job)

Companies like BUSH and Wiking also make many models of modern European cars which are also present on US roads.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm puzzled!!!!

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »
I guess "modern" is a pretty broad range.   I model 1998-2003 or so, and would probably fudge a couple of years newer if it wasn't too obvious.  (no mini-coopers, etc.)    I buy virtually everything I come across vehicle-wise that is remotely era-appropriate, so the answer is YES I am interested in "modern" vehicles.

I remember when modern was "80's+" ...sometime around 1995...so I guess modern could be "past 15 years" for some, maybe "past year" for others.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +528
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:46:57 PM »
You need to do a lot of work if you want a convincing scene with vehicles in N scale. I collect moden N scale vehicles and there is a lot out there, and almost all require work to finish.

Wiking, Fleischmann, Herpa, and Busch all make Euro cars that are appropriate for the US. These all follow the same basic construction: chassis, body and clear window block. Tomix and Kato also make Japenese vehicles appropriate for the US and in 1/160 scale. Tomytec (another Tomy company like Tomix) produces vehicles in 1/150. Some of these vehicles are scaled small and don't look out of place. Some are too large. Their construction vehicles are really top shelf models.

Willmodels has the best resin kits out there. Lineside Models has a few nice vehicles (the Ford Ecconoline and Dodge Tradesman vans). GHQ, Showcase amd CinC have great pewter kits. There are also some great pewter kits from Marks Metalmodellclassics and MZZ from Europe. MZZ has a great Jeep kit.

Johnny Lightening made some Monopoly themed vehicles with tokens that scale close to N scale. You see many people selling resin copies of dubious quality on eBay.

I am still planning on a vehicle line under the name Northeast Truck Company, which would specialize in Fire apparatus and passenger cars. I have run into some delays due to equipment failures and needed to finish my basement for more room.
Celebrating 1000 days of humiliation.

sdodge

• Crew
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:18:27 PM »
I would like to see a line of RTR Kenworth trucks, W900, T600, T660. All considered modern. In fact, I believe the W900 was first built in the 60's and is still in production.

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:58:55 PM »
53' box trailers ....anyone?  Ya we needs those, as the most widely used frieght trailer does not exsist in current production in N scale.   :(

Pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:30:52 PM »
Don't forget about Willmodels. They're resin castings and are very nice. I've got the Chrysler PT Crusier (just like my real one) and some of his older model vehicles.

http://stores.ebay.com/willmodels

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +846
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »

I would like to see a line of RTR Kenworth trucks, W900, T600, T660. All considered modern. In fact, I believe the W900 was first built in the 60's and is still in production.

53' box trailers ....anyone?  Ya we needs those, as the most widely used frieght trailer does not exsist in current production in N scale.   :(

These two comments definitely go together.  53's should be coming back as soon as DI gets tooling back, a lot of announced releases backlogged right now.  But with the trailers, need tractors to pull them.  I asked Kato to release the Volvo's in 2 packs like Atlas did with the Ford tractors, they said no go.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
Don't forget about Willmodels. They're resin castings and are very nice. I've got the Chrysler PT Crusier (just like my real one) and some of his older model vehicles.

http://stores.ebay.com/willmodels

They were mentioned in the initial post.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:24:00 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +28
    • Unnamed Switching Layout
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:34 PM »
This and a 1978 Trans Am  :trollface:
But seriously, modern vehicles are veryyyyy needed in N scale
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +528
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »
I think that we will probably not see any new RTR vehicles for at least a few years. There is just no market for them.
Celebrating 1000 days of humiliation.

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
I guess "modern" is a pretty broad range.   I model 1998-2003 or so, and would probably fudge a couple of years newer if it wasn't too obvious.  (no mini-coopers, etc.)    I buy virtually everything I come across vehicle-wise that is remotely era-appropriate, so the answer is YES I am interested in "modern" vehicles.

I remember when modern was "80's+" ...sometime around 1995...so I guess modern could be "past 15 years" for some, maybe "past year" for others.

Doug,

The "new" Mini Cooper went on sale in the U.S. in the spring of 2002.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »
I think that we will probably not see any new RTR vehicles for at least a few years. There is just no market for them.

Which is strange since companies such as Kato, ExactRail, and FVM (among others) are selling oodles of modern locos and rolling stock.  I would have thought that people who buy those models have modern-themed layout which need ... modern vehicles.  :|
--- Peteski de Snarkski

Nilmadic

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »
I would have thought that people who buy those models have modern-themed layout which need ... modern vehicles. 

Right?? I can only speak for myself, but when I think of "modern" I suppose it's a bit of a misnomer. I mean current, when I say I want modern stuff. Or at least fairly current. I don't expect to see 3013 model vehicles come out as soon as their prototypes do, but new Fords or Chevys or Dodges would be nice. And trucks, lots of trucks. Today, it seems like those work trains ore balanced out or replaced by a vehicular based MOW fleet. We need a Boley for N scale!