Author Topic: Questions on US NAVY silver boxcars .  (Read 1387 times)

CoalPorter

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Questions on US NAVY silver boxcars .
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
Does anyone know if the road numbers the NAVY uses means anything ? (like a code for something)

I am planning on repainting several boxcars silver using old CONCOR 40'ers and some of the
newer ATLAS 40' Steel sided (converted from wood side box cars) and some Micro-Trains
40' Double Sheathed Wood boxcars.

Does anyone have a list  of road numbers and car types ?

I want to make a train of bomb cars. Im thinking of the cars that were used at the Concord Navy Weapons station
and down at Seal Beach in California. Were these cars just kept on the base, or did they go into interchange?
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: Questions on US NAVY silver boxcars .
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 10:06:41 PM »
The USN 61-xxxxx etc numbering are for cars NOT for interchange service . The USNX xxxxxx cars are FOR interchange service . Many of the USNX cars later in their life , which may be a short time , are reclassified USN and wind up captive to a base and get renumbered xx-xxxxx . I have been building and researching , for the last week , a dozen door and a half 50 foot cars . The info is hard to find and hard to prove via photos . I am thinking silver cars for the 50's era . Finding USNX rolling stock other than helium care so far has only come up with one from 1946 . In the early 50's Hastings Nebraska had a NOD Naval Ordinance Depot fed by UP tracks . THAT is my focus now .

Richie Dost

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 12:38:11 AM »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 08:15:34 PM »
+1
Thanks , I had found that one and others but exact info is elusive . I even bought a couple more ORER's , a oct 1960 and one for 1990 which come to find out DIDN'T have USNX listed in THAT edition along with a flock of other reporting marks ,  and that one is about 2.5 inches thick . The trouble with this hobby is the more you know about what your doing , the further from spot on you wind up .

Richie Dost