Author Topic: New KATO Unitrack Crossover...  (Read 3383 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: New KATO Unitrack Crossover...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 07:44:01 PM »
Also, the use of wood ties and concrete ties is very accurate. Most switches are still on wood ties. Cheaper and more flexible to construct. Many new transit projects are moving to concrete tie switches as the cost comes down (many of the recent light rail projects in Salt Lake used concrete tie switches).
I would argue that the wood ties through the frog area are not prototypical, because they're way too long.  Ed's Rule always applies, but I would bet that it would be difficult to find a picture of a crossover in the U.S. where the ties are long enough to support both sets of tracks (and, of course, the crossover track, too).

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 07:52:14 PM »
I would argue that the wood ties through the frog area are not prototypical, because they're way too long.  Ed's Rule always applies, but I would bet that it would be difficult to find a picture of a crossover in the U.S. where the ties are long enough to support both sets of tracks (and, of course, the crossover track, too).

Quite agree. However, in this case we must consider that Japanese track has likely severed as the prototype, and it's possible this may be correct there.

Best I've found so far (and it's not conclusive): http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/8414/1160645.jpg
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:54:42 PM by David K. Smith »

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 02:41:47 AM »
Now if they could work on getting C55 unitrak and dealing with the very annoying issue of turnouts being 126mm long and straights being 124mm long we would be onto something here.
Regards
Tony A