Author Topic: Question on spraying enamels  (Read 2464 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Question on spraying enamels
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »
Its all a learning curve, but learning on a non replacable Kato shell makes it real... :ashat:

Thanks guys!

Try mastering your spraying technique on some old disposable shell.   ;)

Hmmm... I'm now thinking of another possibility. The paint solvent might be hot enough to liquify (but not craze) the surface of the plastic you're painting. That would show like what you see on your shell.  The paint seems to cover fine but as it dries, it pulls away at any edges, exposing unpainted plastic.  In that case primer will help (it will act as a barrier). But laying down few dry coats before a final wet coat might also work.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:38:42 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 09:49:03 PM »
I have some cheap old AHM HO cars I hammer with first. The paint did not act all crazy on the details when I praticed on one of them prior. But it already had a base coat when I sprayed.. so you might have a point on the paint being too hot thou on the raw plastic. 

Again I can't imagine I was too far off on the 3/1 mix. 

I think at this point I'm going to try to lay down another coat, then if that doesn't give me the results I'm looking for, off to the stripper... wait .. nevermind..  :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:52:14 PM by Smike »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 12:25:52 AM »
How about this: you send me that shell and I'll make it nice, shiny solid black if you will weather some of my freight cars!  :trollface:
 I can lay down nice shiny paint jobs but I suck at weathering.   :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .

Smike

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
How about this: you send me that shell and I'll make it nice, shiny solid black if you will weather some of my freight cars!  :trollface:
 I can lay down nice shiny paint jobs but I suck at weathering.   :facepalm:

I think this will be my first and last attempt at doing a complete loco repaint, I would much rather spend my time weathering. I think we do need to barter on trade of services  :)

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 09:19:35 PM »
The Floquil line from perhaps the mid-1970s had a glossy black loco enamel. It required "Barrier" not to attack most plastics. It was glossy.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 09:32:07 PM »
I think this will be my first and last attempt at doing a complete loco repaint, I would much rather spend my time weathering. I think we do need to barter on trade of services  :)

I said that in jest (I have my hands full of projects and nothing really to weather at the moment) but this might really be a viable trade of services for others here on TRW.  :)

. . . 42 . . .

Smike

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »
I said that in jest (I have my hands full of projects and nothing really to weather at the moment) but this might really be a viable trade of services for others here on TRW.  :)

Don't worry it will take a while to completely give up on this current re-paint project  ;)

But there is always the hope that someday undec SD40- Mid Production units will roll out of Kato that I will need some black painting work for.  :)

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 12:36:47 PM »
Polyscale acrylic gloss black works pretty well....  I applied it without primer and it produced a smooth, glossy surface perfect for decals.