Author Topic: Kato East vs. West?  (Read 8542 times)

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
Re: Kato East vs. West?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 07:25:33 PM »
Uhh, it's obvious...., they haven't done a K4.  :trollface: What greater bias could there be?  ;)
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »
[T]he Broadway Ltd. set was already produced by Kato (not one I would like to see in the future). AFAIK, that is the only Eastern road passenger train set produced by Kato so far.

Don't forget the Penn Central passenger train made by Kato within the last year or two.

EDIT: And, if you look at Kato's marketing for the PC and Amtrak Phase I trains, it's clear that the Amtrak cars were marketed for an eastern U.S. train: http://www.katousa.com/N/PC-Amtk/index.html.  There's also the GG1, in addition to the PC and Amtrak E8s.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:36:12 PM by davefoxx »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +141
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
Uhh, it's obvious...., they haven't done a K4.  :trollface: What greater bias could there be?  ;)

+1 :D
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
Don't forget the Penn Central passenger train made by Kato within the last year or two.

EDIT: And, if you look at Kato's marketing for the PC and Amtrak Phase I trains, it's clear that the Amtrak cars were marketed for an eastern U.S. train: http://www.katousa.com/N/PC-Amtk/index.html.  There's also the GG1, in addition to the PC and Amtrak E8s.

But that PC train is very forgettable (read "ugly"). Yes, it is prototypical.  I was thinking more of pretty passenger trains.  :trollface:
I agree that for obvious reasons GG1 is an East coast model. It goes well with the Broadway Ltd.
And Amtrak, is Amtrak. You see it country-wide. I also realize that Amfleet cars are mostly seen on the right side of the country.
. . . 42 . . .

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +234
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »
I think on modern diesels, the issue is that Kato has tended to pick a version or phase of a model by measuring
or studying a UP or BNSF unit, which nowadays almost insures that the model will be inaccurate for CSX or NS since they specify other easily seen options - like headlights or handrail configurations.

I believe the other widely repeated belief is that with the global market, there is more recognition of western roads than eastern roads - although I doubt this comes into play.

I seriously doubt there is a real bias - just sometimes Western modelers luck out (GEVO's, C44-9W's) and sometimes eastern roads get lucky....

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +234
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 09:27:15 PM »
Some data - right now on EBAY:

86  Kato CSX models
47 Kato Norfolk southern models
280 BNSF models
308 Union Pacific models
58 Canadian Pacific models

Does not take into account different spelling, or fact that UP models cross into older eras....

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:17 PM »
Amwreck is a national road so they don't count , except for the Acella . Dave has 100 PRR E8s . Did they prior to the E-8 and NW-2 do any other transition era diesels , or 2-8-2's ?

Richie Dost

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +620
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:48 PM »
Its pretty simple. They make what brings in the money. Not trying to be a dick, but just because most of the modelers here are easterners doesnt mean this group represents the majority of n-scale consumers. Look at the K4 ordeal. Just because a few of you want one, it doesnt mean the mfg will make their money back for tooling/painting costs. Hell, id love ready built true ATSF steam, but like many of you, im stuck making it all myself.
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »
Its pretty simple. They make what brings in the money. Not trying to be a dick, but just because most of the modelers here are easterners doesnt mean this group represents the majority of n-scale consumers. Look at the K4 ordeal. Just because a few of you want one, it doesnt mean the mfg will make their money back for tooling/painting costs. Hell, id love ready built true ATSF steam, but like many of you, im stuck making it all myself.

K4 is golden . I am a UP fan and I would buy one just out of respect of how many people rode behind her . I even hat the outhouse sized cab it had . It is the most famous 4-6-2 .

Richie Dost

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 09:55:23 PM »
Its pretty simple. They make what brings in the money. Not trying to be a dick, but just because most of the modelers here are easterners doesnt mean this group represents the majority of n-scale consumers. Look at....

me, for instance.  If it's not silver, and doesn't say Zephyr on it, then it better be an Empire Builder or a North Coast Limited, so I can run it across my layout.   :D
Regards,
Paul

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »
Kato SD45 Releases since 1995:

ATSF, ATSF, SP, SP, UP, UP, SPSF, SPSF, D&RGW, D&RGW, GN, GN, GN, C&NW, C&NW, GN, GN, SP, UP, UP, ATSF, ATSF, BN, BN, SP, SP, UP, UP, WC, WC
EL, EL, RDG, RDG, D&H, D&H, CR, CR
CP, CP

No East Coast Roads since 1996.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 10:18:45 PM »
U30C Production since 1989.

UP, UP, SP, SP, RI, BN, ATSF, ATSF, ATSF, ATSF, BN, BN, BN, UP, UP, ATSF, ATSF

SBD, PRR, D&H, Chessie

USDT

No East Coast Raods since 1st release ('89).

Jason

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »
And that's wht I just got a SP SD=45, so I can strip it and roll my own PRR one.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »
SD40's * unclear if this is all of them.

UP,UP, ATSF, ATSF, UP, ATSF, UP, ATSF, UP, UP , SP, SP CBQ, CBQ, BN, BN, ATSF, ATSF, UP, UP, SP, SP, C&NW, BN, BN, ATSF, ATSF

CR, CR, CSX, CSX, CR, CR, PRR, PRR, CSX, Chessie, Chessie

CP, CP, AC, AC, CN, CN,  CP

I won't bother with the F3/7 because it isn't very representative with all the re-releases for the passenger sets, but the last East Coast F3 and F7 were in 1995 and 1996 respectively.

Jason
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:50:27 PM by wcfn100 »

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1118
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 10:42:07 PM »
It clearly sucks to model Mexican railroads.  Even Canada gets some Kato-love.