Author Topic: Flat final finishes - tell me about them.  (Read 805 times)

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Flat final finishes - tell me about them.
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »
I'm looking to finish up my K4 project over the next two weeks.  Basically, all that needs to be done is finishing the tender, decaling, and adding an LED for the headlight.

I'm thinking that I might want to put a flat top coat via airbrush over everything once completed to preserve the decals with a flat finish.  I'm not sure what is best to use.  I have a combination of enamel and acrylic paint on the loco, plus the decals. 

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +530
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Flat final finishes - tell me about them.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:32:36 PM »
I switched to spraying dullcoat with the air brush and have been happy to date.

Jason

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »
I am currently using Polly S "flat", cut 50/50 with distilled water. Sprayed through a Badger Patriot "Arrow" AB @ 28 psi.
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +901
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:50:05 PM »
What kind of "enamel" is this?  Beware Dullcote over enamel.  Dullcote is a laquer.  The one and only time I
tried this, sprayed over enamel I had mixed in a paint store, the enamel crinkled up and was ruined and I had
to strip and repaint the whole car.

If you do it, I suggest trying it first on a scrap piece of plastic painted with your enamel.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +569
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »
I use Dullcoat over PollyScale acrylics all the time without any issues; I thin it about 10% with lacquer thinner, and use an airbrush at about 25 psi for an even, light coat.  I'll use a second coat if necessary, but I like Dullcoat because it goes on evenly and very thinly, so that it doesn't hide detail.   I've even brushed it on with a 1/4" sable brush (on diesel engine shells and my NKP 1000-series cabooses) with no drama, although you do have do use light coats or you risk causing the lettering on decals to run.

I tried the acrylic dull finishes many years ago and was not satisfied; they may be better-formulated today, but I've had excellent experiences with Dullcoat.

John C.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +436
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »
When I want a flat finish, I use Dullcote from the spray can.  Don't have a problem with it over either acrylics or enamels as long as the enamels are completely cured.

I also don't make everything with a flat finish, since the prototypes' paint on motive power is almost always glossy.  Prototype's paint on rolling stock is also almost always glossy, it's just the grime and oxidation that turns it dull.

I also like the contrast between flat and glossy surfaces, which appear more prototypical to me, such as the flat finish on smokeboxes and fireboxes as opposed to the rest of the locomotive (usually glossy black).

I usually achieve this contrast by weathering with Pollyscale earth tones over Scalecoat II with my airbrush and stencils I cut.  I like the results. 

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +569
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
Bob makes an excellent point - not everything on a railroad is dull flat.  I usually use a flat finish when I'm trying to hide decal edges on rolling stock.  Some variation, however, is a good thing.   Back in the 1950's the NKP's Berks were regularly washed and repainted at major shoppings.  When they came out of the shop, they were gleaming glossy black, and the tenders kept a shine on the upper parts of the sides in service.  Dust and dirt on the bottom, but gloss black as you go up would be a prototypical look.

John C.

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +775
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
Depending on the era you model, I would give the K4 only a light dulling.  Passenger locomotives were kept pretty clean, especially prior to WWII.  Even post-war, K4s ranged from clean to not-so-clean.  Freight locomotives, on the other hand, were rarely cleaned and often had a good coat of grime that gave an overall dull appearance.  Of course steam locomotive paint was also effected by steam, water, grease, and condensation from the water tank on tenders.

I have used light coats of Badger flat or satin finish.