Author Topic: New Project: Cumberland One Track Module Group!  (Read 5558 times)

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: New Project: Cumberland One Track Module Group!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
...not your Barney-themed Birthday Party module...

Back to the drawing board...  :facepalm:

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »
Crate-ability will be an extremely high priority.  The modules will have to be securely stored when not in use, as I don't presently have a place to leave 'em up and play with them.  So I'm definitely liking the general principal that MC presents.

That said,

This has a couple of flaws, but none that are insurmountable.
1.  The tracks through the station begin a gentle curve almost as soon as they leave the building going to the left, and track 3 is not that long on the prototype.  I'd like to keep the proportions, if not the scale distances, as close as possible.  The longer straight and the greater distances between the highway and the street will be less recognizable.  Plus, I DO want to include the street scape across the creek from the station.  There are some key identifying buildings there, particularly the big apartment house caddy corner from the station across Baltimore Street.

2.  The bridge on the approach from the right includes a curve as it approaches the station as well.  This is a key identifier, and not a feature I'm willing to compromise.  Same with the gently curving track on the steel beam bridge to the left.  I do have the track charts for this part of the railroad, so I can calculate out what the scale distances are.  I'm sure I'm truncating something to squeeze it onto 4' modules,  but the goal will remain to be as true to the proto as possible in terms of proportions.

3.  I want to avoid a joint through the station.  As noted previously, I'll feel more confident packing and shipping the modules if I know I never have to touch the station again.  I can build a foam core shell that secures around it mounted in place to protect it in transit.  Chances of it getting damaged are far greater if I'm picking it up and putting it down over and over again, plus there's the issue of the lighting connections.  So no joints through the station.  I'd rather try to figure out how to do a 6' module than do that.  Also, there will be times, such as a WMRHS convention or something, where I'll just bring the center module to display the station model without the need for operating trains.  Making that section two modules makes that more of a chore, potentially. 

In the end, I will design the platforms for maximum durability and portability, but with an eye to the final track plan maintaining the lines I want it to have.

Turnout controls:  Hadn't really taken that into account at this stage.  There are a few, including a crossover between one and two tracks and switches for track 3..  The ones that are purely local can be surface mount manual slide switches as you did, or I was thinking of using the push button pen controllers I used in my yard for them.   Following the train means controllers on the outside fascia, operator pit requires them to be inside, and then there's the whole idea of making the 90 degrees reversible to accommodate different set ups...  So really, the best option will be to do Tortoises and decoders so they can be operated remotely by the operator.  My plan would be to build the frames to a depth adequate to hide/protect the Tortoises, and build some sort of removable protective encasement that keeps them sheltered during transit, but available for maintenance/replacement.  That, and I have a ton of Tortoises available from the salvaged layout, so why not deploy them?

Lee
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:21:05 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 06:32:36 PM »
Deploy the tortoises!  :ashat:
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »
I'm liking this. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »
I would say you should be able to make the center section long enough that you can pair the two ends together for transport. IE if the center section is 4 ft then the two sides are 2ft each making a pair four feet long when bolted together for travel. If 2 ft is too short on the end sections you can make the center long enough to compensate (up until it is too long for your average transportation). You could also use a Z shaped end plate bent from sheet aluminum if lenthening the center module takes the trackwork too far from proto. I had two ntrak modules I hauled around that sat together siamesed with bolt on endplates. One set of plates had large wheels and you could push or pull it like a hand truck. Just remember, that even with the lightest construction methods this will still be a fairly substantial bit of weight.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »
MC's crating is exactly what MiNi does.  It's really a great way to pack up multiple modules with minimal possibilities for damage to scenery.  There's still the random tree of telephone pole that gets whacked or lost, but after years of crating the modules still look good. 

Most, of our structures are removable.  It's easier to pack them up seperately.  It's also easier to work on them if they need some touching up. 

I'll never understand the need for lighting on structures, expecially on something such as this.  I know Lee will use it as a photo diorama as well, but most of the time it will find itself at shows where lights really don't do much. At least IMO.

I understand your need/want for getting it as close to prototype, but sacrifices may be in your best interest.
~ Matt

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Very cool project Lee!

I wish there was an industry or two incorporated somewhere for operational & visual interest, but I get the point that there aren't any in this part of the city.

johnhale

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
    • New Haven RR in N Scale
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 09:00:53 AM »

As a local oNeTraker, my only concern over this trackplan (I know it’s not final) is the curves going through the joints at the end of the station module. By doing that, you guarantee that the modules will never be set up independent of each other. That may be a desire, but I want to make sure you see that before you lay track.

They are of course your modules, and we will help everyway we can.

John
John Hale
1960's era New Haven Railroad

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
As a local oNeTraker, my only concern over this trackplan (I know it’s not final) is the curves going through the joints at the end of the station module. By doing that, you guarantee that the modules will never be set up independent of each other. That may be a desire, but I want to make sure you see that before you lay track.

They are of course your modules, and we will help everyway we can.

John

John.. I think the plan here is to create one scene across the three modules ...

johnhale

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
    • New Haven RR in N Scale
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »
John, I understand that, but I just wanted to make sure that was a conscious decision.

John Hale
1960's era New Haven Railroad

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 08:57:15 PM »
Hmmm...

I guess we don't say it anywhere in the standards (which is obviously an oversight on my part), but there needs to be a section of straight track perpendicular to the module joint at each end.  At a minimum the sectional joiner track is straight, so you need at least 1.5" from the joint; having the end of the actual module straight for an inch or two prior would be preferable.

Now if these are being built as a set, and will always be used together, then the owner is free to do whatever he wants at the "internal" interfaces, including using curved joiner tracks or running the track to the edge of the module, but as John points out, if that is the case they can't freely interface with standard modules.

Tim

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »
I'd like to do this along the lines of Ian's Amoskeag Northern, where it can be set up entirely as an independent layout, but I'd also like to have a couple of standard interfaces that enable to go as a group into a modular rig.

Probably be a project over the winter.  We'll see.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »
so, which will happen first --- you build the modules, or me show up for a club meeting :)

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1420
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »
Can't wait to see this come together Lee!  This was an amazing scene on your old layout!