Author Topic: Custom Decal work  (Read 3519 times)

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
Custom Decal work
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:05:46 AM »
I'm in need of either someone who can produce decals or a business (other than Highball) known to produce custom decal work for a large project....

I need decals for my freelance RR and require enough sets of decals (long hood x2, cab numbers x2 and nose logo) for roughly 190 locomotives. Shown below will be what is required.

I'll also need a large amount of 'nameplete' decals (pairs, one for each side of a cab) and a number of different decals for rolling stock projects. If anyone has an ALPs and would like to make a hundred or two please PM me.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:05:57 PM by Leggy »

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Custom Decal work needed
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »
Since your lettering is black and printing white isn't an issue, you might be able to do these yourself using blank decal paper and your computer printer?

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:36:23 AM »
I would agree, black laser printer onto clear film will solve your lettering issues.  The yellow stripes, if you want to do those with decals, could be trim film, but I would suggest painting those.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:40:49 AM »
I've had decals made by Rail Graphics  http://www.railgraphicsdecals.com/  and was very pleased.

Hmm... just spit on 'em,
let 'em sit for 30 seconds,
then slide 'em onto the
loco...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 10:06:46 AM »
I've been considering getting some decals done at Shawmut Car Shops (http://shawmutcarshops.com/?page_id=137).  His prices look pretty darn good ($20 for an 8.5x11 sheet, plus shipping) and his samples on the site are quite nice.  He also does vinyl graphics which could be useful for doing some signs and graphics for the layout room.

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 10:14:19 AM »
Thanks for the links guys, I'll send some emails tomorrow. As far as doing it myself, considering the fire alarm goes off when I cook steak I'd rather leave things like this to a professional or atleast someone who knows what they're doing.....knowing me my printer would likely rip a hole in the fabic of space and time  :facepalm:

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »
Well, I would say if you can post on a forum, you have the skill set to print decals on a laser printer!  It is your choice, of course, but having this option gives you some flexibility.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »
Black
from ALPS is acually black.  Lasers tend to be more of a gray/black because 80-90% looks solid black to the casual user.  Laser black is quite good for a letter on white paper but can look 'pre-faded' on a model. Excellent head start to a nice weathered/faded model.  This assumes that you will be custom mixing your faded paint or applying fade techniques before dcal application.  Choose wisely and good luck on completing your roster...
Support fine modeling

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »
Inkjet black is a very convincing black, I've found; blacker than laserjet, and perhaps comparable to ALPS. And many inkjet printers these days have remarkable resolution.

mike in bc

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
what decal paper do you recomend for inkjet printers?
mike

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
The best I've found is Expert's Choice by Bare-Metal Foil Co. http://www.Bare-Metal.com .  They have both clear and white and both work very well with inkjet printers.  The prices are reasonable too.  You will have to cover them with a liquid decal film which is available from them as well or from Microscale.

Testors has some decal paper for inkjet printers too but I've found the edges tend to curl up when make small decals.  This can be corrected with numerous applications of Micro-Set or Solva-Set but it's a pain in the butt.

Doug

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 12:29:47 PM »
DKS
brings an xcellent point.  APLS resolution is crude compared to modern inkjet and laser printers.  Anything smaller that 8 point text tends to lose fine lines in serif fons like the roman ones favoured by railroads...
Support fine modeling

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »
http://www.decalpaper.com/

After printing, I spray the sheet with Krylon flat clear.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1295
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »
http://www.decalpaper.com/

After printing, I spray the sheet with Krylon flat clear.

David,
I have gotten some sheets from these folks, both clear and white.
I've had no trouble with the clear, but every time I've used the white, I've had problems.

Either I can't get the white to slide off, or when it does, the decal just shrivels up and becomes spongy.  I ordered a second batch of the white a year or so later, thinking I got a bad batch, but still had the same problem.

Have you had this happen?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 02:00:39 PM »
David,
I have gotten some sheets from these folks, both clear and white.
I've had no trouble with the clear, but every time I've used the white, I've had problems.

Either I can't get the white to slide off, or when it does, the decal just shrivels up and becomes spongy.  I ordered a second batch of the white a year or so later, thinking I got a bad batch, but still had the same problem.

Have you had this happen?

I've not had this problem, no. But I have found it helps to use warm water.

Here's what you can do with a laserjet for decals--this is the set I include with the bus. The EMERGENCY EXIT lettering (at 90 degrees) is 2 point type.

White specs are reflections, not flaws.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:03:28 PM by David K. Smith »