Author Topic: Need some advice on wheel sets  (Read 689 times)

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Need some advice on wheel sets
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:53:36 AM »
Hi guys,

I am currently upgrading my rolling stock to new metalwheels and body mount couplers.I need your thoughts for the best wheel sets for Athearn and ATLAS trucks.My Micro-Trains trucks are getting Intermountain,but I have no idea which IM wheel set fits the other trucks.

Any help y'all can offer is appreciated
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
Re: Need some advice on wheel sets
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
Myself and a lot of others would recommend Fox Valley wheelsets. 

FVM's .553" axles will work for Atlas unless they are very old.  I believe IM also makes (or made) wheelsets designated for Atlas trucks.

Athearn will take either the .540" (same as micro-trains) or the .553".  Athearn changed its truck sizes a few years ago so you may need some of both sizes depending on exactly what you have.   Athearn also makes its own metal wheelsets, which are actually in between the FVM axle sizes. 

You could do your MT cars with FVM wheels as well.  Another option for the MT cars would be BLMA.  BLMA also makes very excellent replacement trucks that come with their own wheels. 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2219
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
And don't forget the BLMA trucks help lower cars too, by virtue of their lower bolster.

Matt Noel

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:38:58 AM »
I 2nd Fox Valley.  If you belong to an n trak club I suggest their wide tread wheels, if you do code 55 then BLMA works great!

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »
Intermountain part 60050 is for current Atlas trucks.  FVM also has axle lengths which fit these trucks.  Check your favorite retailer.  I've found the distribution channels for IMR and FVM wheels can dry up pretty quickly, so get them while you can.

My track isn't good enough to handle standard width treads, at least not how I like to run.  So when considering a change, you might want to first test before investing in a large number of wheels.

Bill Kepner