Author Topic: Guardrails  (Read 2802 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
  • Respect: +4409
    • David's Modeling Journey
Re: Guardrails
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but where did anyone suggest the use of Aluminum corrugated roofing?   :?
What I read was this...

My mistake; I had only read Peteski's reply.
“Everyone leaves unfinished business. That's what dying is.” —Amos, The Expanse

highway70

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 01:15:19 PM »
I used to have an official California State highway spec book and one of the instructions on placement was priceless. It read something like this: "Install any place where cars tend to run off the road." Simple enough.

Link to CaLTRANS Standard Plans.  Many other States also have their plans on line:

2006 Standard Plans US Common Units

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/project_plans/HTM/stdplns-US-customary-units-new06.htm

2010 Standard Plans US Common Units

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/project_plans/HTM/stdplns-US-customary-units-new10.htm

2004 Standard Plans Metric

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/project_plans/HTM/stdplns-met-new04.htm

This Site links to State Design Manuals.  I have found the Standad Plans for a number of States through these links although it often took some searching of the State sites.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/statemanuals.cfm

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:40:54 PM by highway70 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2861
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »

Maybe I missed it, but where did anyone suggest the use of Aluminum corrugated roofing?   :?
What I read was this...

Geez, it was me: "how about Plastruct 'metal roofing'". Obviously my brain somehow fixated in the "metal" part.   :facepalm: That'll teach DKS not to depend on interpretation of a thread.  :trollface:

But seriously, I'm sure that eventually this application for the scale corrugated aluminum roofing would have been brought into this thread. In that case, that Idea is already covered.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +69
    • Conrail's Portland Line
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Geez, it was me: "how about Plastruct 'metal roofing'". Obviously my brain somehow fixated in the "metal" part.   :facepalm: That'll teach DKS not to depend on interpretation of a thread.  :trollface:

But seriously, I'm sure that eventually this application for the scale corrugated aluminum roofing would have been brought into this thread. In that case, that Idea is already covered.  :D
except I suggested it first and no one cared...waaaa! :tommann:
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +394
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:11 AM »
Someone probably has used HO or O aluminum roofing for N scale guardrails.  Gluing it would be a pain, as I've never been able to get the sheets to stick to anything for very long.  There has to be a glue that works, without eating the plastic building, but I haven't found it.  And, yes, it would be fragile.  On the other hand, prototype guardrails can get pretty banged up, so that may be an advantage in some cases.  As for fastening it, if one uses wood or plastic posts, maybe "bolt" it on with wire, or a NBW casting?
N Kalanaga
Be well

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 02:12:57 AM »
If you want the most cost-effective, easy-to-make guardrails, the Plastruct corrugated styrene sheet is your answer. It is very close to the right shape, it's thin enough to look like real metal guardrails. It's easy to glue and paint. I suggest attaching styrene posts to the rail with Plastruct Bondene (or equivalent) before planting. It's flexible and strong enough to withstand handling.
James R. Will

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 05:23:55 AM »
As for fastening it, if one uses wood or plastic posts, maybe "bolt" it on with wire, or a NBW casting?

That would present a tedious challenge assuming one needed to make a substantial amount of guardrail...

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 08:21:22 AM »
Thought this might be handy for this thread.  I shot photos along a virtually abandoned section of the Lincoln Highway running through Echo Canyon between Wahsatch and Echo Utah last August (2012) since I will be modeling this (both the highway and guardrail) for my Echo Canyon and Emory Center Siding LDE.  I took measurements, but I can't find them at the moment, but you can probably extrapolate the measurements pretty accurately from these photos.

Hope they help for those of you who might be modeling from the 1940's through the first half of the 60's.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 08:27:37 AM »

bbeegle

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 02:59:31 PM »
Thanks again for all of your great help,now I will have to decide what to try.
Thanks,Brian

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +321
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »
Heck, who needs guardrails?

LOL!

The first time we went out to the Denver-area, actually Estes Park, a little north of Denver, we rented a car and my wife would drive around while I did some client work during the day... Well for us folks that are use to guardrails along our winding roads it was a bit of a shock. 

About scared her to death driving out there.

cec209

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »
I’ve used Plastruct channel stock for guard rails though I don’t remember what size and I can’t access that piece of modeling at the moment. They don’t look too bad in N scale but of course the backs are un prototypically  flat.

Kato makes (made) Guard Rails and Road Fences - Kato 23-213. I’ve never used this item and from the way it’s packaged, dominated by the road fences, it’s hard to tell how they look. The following links are old and may no longer work but they show (showed) the Kato version of guard rails:

http://www.trainworldonline.com/search.php?byitem=23-213&x=32&y=9

http://www.newhallstation.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/212

Charlie

Charlie

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +394
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 01:54:20 AM »
David:  True, but it might work for a small area in a highly visible spot.  I certainly wouldn't want to "bolt" any great length of it!

My father, who wasn't noted for the accuracy of his comments, always claimed that Colorado didn't use guardrails to weed out the careless drivers.  If one survived the first curve, one would slow down for the next...  For what it's worth, we know that he DID live in the Pagosa Springs area for a few years in the 40s.
N Kalanaga
Be well