Author Topic: D&H Rocky Mountain Empire (N-Scale) - Design Stage #3  (Read 4304 times)

Stourbridge Lion

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: D&H Rocky Mountain Empire (N-Scale) - Design Stage #3
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »
Ah, I see the confusion about the helix...  Yes, what has been posted so far is only the lower Deck and I will be posting Deck #2 shortly that the Helix is heading up towards

Stourbridge Lion

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 09:06:52 PM »
Deck #2 - Lower Loop (Passenger Mainline)

Time to head up to Deck #2 where this time the Lower Loop is the Passenger Traffic Mainline. As mention earlier, the two outer rings of the Helix are for the Passenger Traffic and they will reach Deck #2 at 60 Inches for Upward traffic and 62" for the Downward traffic. This area I envision as more rural / hilly and not Mountainous so mainly void of tunnels. In place here within the Train Room, I am more thinking passing under structures, bridges; more of an Inner City in the peninsula area.

Again like for Deck #1, the Lower Loop's return loop will be hidden track with access from below; noting Deck #1 is also below it.

Above is the same diagram from before as reference on where Deck #1 and Deck #2 are at in relationship to them vertically

Stourbridge Lion

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
Deck #2 - Upper Loop (Freight Mainline)

Here is the Upper Loop of Deck #2 that is the Freight Mainline. You can see here I have a Roundhouse near my desk as well as a yard and potentially other structures. Will likely put some industry in the bottom area amd for now just placed a few short sidings as a place holder

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 01:06:48 AM »
Ah now I get it..

My next concern is, if all the earlier pictures are just the lower deck, then there seems to be a heap of diamond crossings all over the place.

So on Deck 2 you have Red and tracks. I see Red on top of blue in some places.. Is there a height difference between the 2? Per earlier updates, I tend to think that your running too close to the edge of the board.

Also, I would be concerned that your trying to squeeze too much in.. But thats just me.

Keep the updates coming.
Rgds
Brendan
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

Stourbridge Lion

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
Keep the feedback coming Brendan!

No fears with the diamonds as other than the Double Cross / Slip Switch all the other areas the tracks are at different elevations that I will be coming too soon...

Yes, you are not the first to bring up Track Heavy concerns and that's OK I understand that

Stourbridge Lion

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »
Deck #2 - Upper Loop (Freight Mainline)

And this concludes Deck #2 with what it might look like from above with possible Lift-Outs of a City Scene above one or both of the two Hidden Access holes

So, what do folks think? I have been getting some great input from various sources that I am truly listening too that I will look to add back into this and other conceptual designs for this space

I think next I would like to go back and show this same design from a track spacing and elevation perspective in a few detail areas to look at those areas deeper for additional input

bdennis

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 08:18:22 PM »
OK all understood now.
One thing to watch when you have 2 track heights on the same level of the layout is the issue of turn out control. Will you use Tortoise machines or will they be thrown by hand?
If Tortoise then there could be height issues.

Keep the plans coming.
Brendan Dennis

Stourbridge Lion

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 08:18:08 PM »
Elevations

Deck #1 / Lower Level

Deck #1 / Upper Level

Deck #2 / Lower Level

Deck #2 / Upper Level

bdennis

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 01:31:06 AM »
Ah now it is all clear. Thanks for the update.
Brendan Dennis

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 02:26:52 AM »
Re the turnouts.. It comes down to a personal preference. I also run U30c's C628's and some coaches. The #7 (to me) looks fine but again personal preference.

Re the Helix. The way i read the diagram is that both the top and bottom level enter the helix at the same place on the layout next to the view block, just at a differewnt vertical height. If I am reading that correctly then the train will enter and go around the helix anti clockwise, until it reaches the next level. Then it needs to exit the helix. However, the way the drawing is shown, I would expect to see the track exiting the helix on the level next to the isle of the layout and not against the internal wall / view block.

or is there a level missing from the pictures.

I see the blue track as the lower section and the Green as the upper section.
If this is correct, why do you need 4 tracks in the helix. I would think you only need 2. This would then connect the Green to the Blue.

Regards
Brendan.

I think the issue is that the blue tracks and green tracks inter the helix at different turns.  At the bottom/start of the helix, it's just the two blue tracks, and then the green ones join in on the second turn making it a four track helix the rest of the way.

So what you're not seeing in the drawing is the first two track turn.

But I could easily be wrong.  :P

Jason

Stourbridge Lion

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »
Yes, the Quad-Helix in this design does have different vertical heights with the inner most ring making the most turns by going the deepest & highest of all four tracks; thus only in the middle of the helix is it a full Quad.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:49:28 PM by Stourbridge Lion »

Stourbridge Lion

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Helix - 3D View

Here is the side view of the Helix in 3D where you can truly see the turns and the Enter/Exit points by level. Looking at the right side of this image you can now see where Deck #1 Lower and Upper Loops reach the Helix at different elevations. Then, looking at the Left and Top side of this image you can see where Deck #2 Lower and Upper Loops also reach the Helix. It's the 15.00 inch Radii Inner ring that makes the most turns that is shown here as the ORANGE track and the steepest grade at 1.8% maintaining a 2.00" clearance from top to bottom. It's actually only a Quad-Helix in the middle section for 4.5 turns

Stourbridge Lion

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
Deck #1 Spacing

Here is a slice of Deck #1 that shows Elevations / Spacing and looking for feedback from this perspective as well

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
Lion,
It seems you're being very thorough with your planning.....but stop designing and build something man!