Author Topic: Detroit Edison coal hoppers  (Read 2006 times)

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
Detroit Edison coal hoppers
« on: June 11, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »
Currently working on a number of Detroit Edison motive power. So I was thinking I am going to need some DEEX coal hoppers. Now I know that Detroit Edison contracted to have their own coal hoppers made. Basically captive to DEEX. I believe Fruehauf built them and maybe Thrall as well.

So I am thinking of what I can use for a decent stand in. I need a whole lot of them. So what comes to mind that would be closest I think would be the Athearn Thrall Gondola http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH11700. Get a couple of them and cut them apart and build them taller. Then resin cast it and make a bunch of them. Get some custom decals made by Highball Graphics and I would have a fleet of DEEX hoppers as close as I could get.

So what do you all think of that idea.

Brian

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
Re: Detroit Edison coal hoppers
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
You might want to pin down the year (s) you want to model.  Detroit Edison had numerous gons over the years they operated with their power

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »
Those cars are so different form anything, I'm not even sure starting with anything would be much of a help.

I'd either start straight from scratch, or, if it's within your skills, I'd Shapeways the kit (even as just a series of sides) and resin cast from there.  Hoppers with nice big flat sides, especially like the old Battleshop gons, are prime candidates for Shapeways in my opinion.
-Mark

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:11:57 AM »
Why not just do a flat panel kit through Shapeways. Do the sides ,ends and floors as a kit .You could design the kit with locating indexes so everything just naturally lined up.

Just think if you design it and Shapeways makes it every kit bought by someone else puts money in your pocket.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »
I do not design my own because I do not have the information on building an accurate car. I have tried to locate dimensional information, but I cannot find any. I do not have access to the car either or know of where one exists.

If I had the information, I would definitely design a correct car and have it made.

Brian

johnhale

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
    • New Haven RR in N Scale
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »
Brian,
   I needed to model some unique gondolas that are used to transport trash from Annapolis Junction, MD to a landfill in Virginia. Waste Management is the only company who owns them, so there is no commercial model (http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2257661).  These are taller and longer than most wood chip hoppers. I built the model, but having it printed by one of the 3D printing services was cost prohibative.

So instead, I had the frame and base printed and am scratch building the rest of the car. Doing it that way will keep the cost per car below $25.00 (including trucks and couplers).

John
John Hale
1960's era New Haven Railroad

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »
My issue is not with cost or my ability to draw up the model. My issue is with getting correct information. I have photos, but not good ones that I can scale from and I do not have any dimensional information. I could probably scale it from the photos, but I would not trust it to be all that accurate.

That is why I was thinking of just making a stand in by kitbashing two of the Athearn cars, making some modifications to it and then casting it. I need to make the cars taller.

Brian

johnhale

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
    • New Haven RR in N Scale
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »
Understand, I had the luxury of being able to go visit the facility/storage yard and measure some of the cars with the help from my 12 year old son.

I loved the whole "Son, we are trespassing, don't ever do this, it's not safe or legal.... now hold the tape measure here for dad."
John Hale
1960's era New Haven Railroad

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »
Hey, since a lot of these cars made it to scrap service on AMGX perhaps there is one lingering around a junkyard that could be measured?

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
Understand, I had the luxury of being able to go visit the facility/storage yard and measure some of the cars with the help from my 12 year old son.

I loved the whole "Son, we are trespassing, don't ever do this, it's not safe or legal.... now hold the tape measure here for dad."

It's not illegal unless you get caught.  :trollface:

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »
Hey, since a lot of these cars made it to scrap service on AMGX perhaps there is one lingering around a junkyard that could be measured?

Most of the extant fleet are the 1975 built Ortners.  They may have a few of the big-arse Fruehaufs left, luckily those are easy to spot.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »
Brian,
   I needed to model some unique gondolas that are used to transport trash from Annapolis Junction, MD to a landfill in Virginia. Waste Management is the only company who owns them, so there is no commercial model (http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2257661).  These are taller and longer than most wood chip hoppers. I built the model, but having it printed by one of the 3D printing services was cost prohibative.

So instead, I had the frame and base printed and am scratch building the rest of the car. Doing it that way will keep the cost per car below $25.00 (including trucks and couplers).

John

John .. there are detailed plans on the net on the patent sites .. including dimensions ..

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 10:01:24 PM »
Where are the patenet sites?

Brian

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
[url]http://www.uspto.gov/patents/process/search/[url]
It's one of those weird government things - we make patent information freely available at no cost to all citizens.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B