Author Topic: When did the N scale convention get taken over by collectors?  (Read 4698 times)

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
Re: When did the N scale convention get taken over by collectors?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
Without getting into too many contentious details, I will simply say that I do not believe NSE is, or will ever be, a good choice for being the "voice" of N scale. And while it might be nice to have some entity represent the scale, I'm not sure it's really needed. I think what would serve the scale best is simply a group to organize gatherings (which would require some kind of creative name, since NSE has trademarked N Scale Convention). IMO, of course.

Would a SIG loosely associated the NMRA dedicated to N scale be a better alternative as a "rep" for N-scale? Things could go hand-in-hand with national or regional conventions with perhaps specific things for N-scalers at them. Now, I don't want this to turn into an NMRA bash. I share a number of the feelings with the national organization, however, I am involved heavily with the LDSIG and have started doing some more things with the Mid-East Reagion and local Division and I find down on that level or within the SIG, it's a great group of guys (generally) that run the meets and such efficiently and do actually provide help on things when asked,

Phil
- Phil

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 10:06:29 AM »
Would a SIG loosely associated the NMRA dedicated to N scale be a better alternative as a "rep" for N-scale? Things could go hand-in-hand with national or regional conventions with perhaps specific things for N-scalers at them. Now, I don't want this to turn into an NMRA bash. I share a number of the feelings with the national organization, however, I am involved heavily with the LDSIG and have started doing some more things with the Mid-East Reagion and local Division and I find down on that level or within the SIG, it's a great group of guys (generally) that run the meets and such efficiently and do actually provide help on things when asked,

This is more in line with my thinking. Ideally the group would have no formal ties with any existing organization or business, but would instead work hand-in-hand with any/all of them in order to facilitate meetings and conventions. The group does not need any "authority" (setting standards and such), either, and in fact it would be a tremendous advantage if they had no influence on the scale or the people in it. Just being a voice (marketing and communication, to spread the word) and a facilitator (getting the job done) is more than enough, I believe.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 10:08:50 AM »
This is more in line with my thinking. Ideally the group would have no formal ties with any existing organization or business, but would instead work hand-in-hand with any/all of them in order to facilitate meetings and conventions. The group does not need any "authority" (setting standards and such), either, and in fact it would be a tremendous advantage if they had no influence on the scale or the people in it. Just being a voice (marketing and communication, to spread the word) and a facilitator (getting the job done) is more than enough, I believe.

That's why I said loosely with the NMRA. In working with the LDSIG, it has become more and more our own org then necessarily an extension of the NMRA. However, in getting started, there were plenty of resources that they helped out with in getting the SIG off the ground but it's its own org today,

Phil
- Phil

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:07 PM »
I'm not a NMRA member nor do I play one on TV but if established properly, affiliation with the NMRA makes for benefits for a fledgling.  These would include potential access to nonprofit status and direct marketing access to NMRA membership.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »
How bout we start an International Association of N Scale Modelers (Modellers for those UK folks)

It would just be a matter of making it sorta like the NMRA, but where it actually works.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »
It would just be a matter of making it sorta like the NMRA, but where it actually works.

Um... let's start from scratch.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
Um... let's start from scratch.

Yeah, i can't believe i said that. I guess that is what comes from not eating breakfast. My statement is basically an oxymoron if you think about it.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

x600

• Crew
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 12:43:13 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts, DKS and CR98. This can be a can of Pandora's box.
I don't know what it is, but I WANT to believe, Really I do.
I just don't feel the love.
 This is one topic I always feel the need to pick at.
Chantilly was legendary, Louisville was historic.
It can be done, certainly not every year, but possibly every 4 or 5?
Make it a reason for everyone to want to get involved.
I am impressed with NSE's ability to manage a business.
Maybe widen their focus a little more.

Greg O.
mrns.org

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 01:39:39 AM »
NSE brings one thing to the table that no other group is able to supply. Money. It takes an incredible amount of up front dollars to throw a convention. Louisville would not have happenned if they had not stepped in. BTW, it was a loser for them which is why another convention with a layout of those proportions will probably never happen again.

Martin Myers

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 01:49:08 AM »
I don't know what it is, but I WANT to believe, Really I do.
I just don't feel the love.

I hear you. The problem is there has been so much bad blood, so many misfires, so much politics and butthurt and unfortunate history that a high degree of cynicism and doubt is totally understandable. I feel the same myself, and I am clueless as to how to overcome it.

As for the money aspect, if a group can overcome the issues cited above and develop a good solid business plan that shows a potential for profit, they might be able to get the buy-in form some big players who can throw some significant bucks at it.

I know, I know, and pigs can fly...