Author Topic: gas station  (Read 1100 times)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
gas station
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +475
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: gas station
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »
I hadn't but that's nice.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:01:44 PM »
I saw that posted on FB earlier today....very nice.   I might be in for this one too, along with Karin's Shell once it comes to N.   It's 50's, but could EASILY be updated to current day...there are about a dozen almost identical structures in my hometown right now.  Granted, most aren't still gas stations but at least one is. (with updated canopy)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »
It's a shame the manufacturer's link doesn't work on the Model160 site.  I'd like to grab one.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

rail and tie

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Inter-Action Hobbies
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »
Hi folks,

man, word does seem to travel fast on the net!  I am new here and am the designer and owner (though my other half thinks she is the owner!!) of Interaction Hobbies.

I have heard the comments about newer pumps as being desireable. Which style and time period would be morst desireable?  The evolution of pumps has changed quite a bit over the past 60 years... 1970's, 1990's, 2000's?  I am considering supplying at least the N Scale version with 2 styles.

Please note that the website photos are being updated this am to represent the included sidewalks, pads and pavement in the gas station compound. You can download the HO scale instructions and the N scale ones should be up shortly as well. construction is very similar to the HO version with an inner and outer wall face. We could not include the LED lighting in this version as it is just too small to use the same ones.

Cheers!

Darryl
www.interactionhobbies.com
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:06:39 PM by rail and tie »
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Enterprises

""Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »
Welcome to The Railwire Darryl. It is always great to have the manufacturers join us here. Your gas station looks great and I may consider it for my layout. Unfortunately, I could really use the mirror image of the layout. Not that I am asking you to do it.

I might also suggest you take a quick look at this topic. https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=28681.0

It was written by a forum member to help introduce newcomers to the "culture" (such as it is) of this group. There are some very good modelers here, and I hope that you will find this to be an interesting place to visit and interact.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rail and tie

• Crew
    • Inter-Action Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »
Thanks Dave .. I read it and looks like my type of people and culture!!

What I really like here is that everyone goes nuts on detail and accuracy.  I like that in modeling detail as well, even if someone can't see the detail, I know it is there.

looking forward to contributing to the chaos where I can!!

D
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Enterprises

""Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

johnh35

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
70's for me. What materials (resin castings, laser cut wood, etc.) are used in constructing the building?

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 04:45:19 PM »
Darryl,
welcome to our party.As soon as Mr. Wallet recovers from the $500.00 I've already spent on Z-N & HO this year already I will be getting some of your nice kits.I have the perfect spot for that gas station but since I model the now I need modern pumps with it.

Looking for a spot for the welding shop and now that you have supplied me with space requirements it will be easier.

I used to build travel trailers like the one you have so that gets added to my list too.

I can't believe I've spent $500.00 already.  :oops:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

djsmeltzer

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 05:14:16 PM »
It's a shame the manufacturer's link doesn't work on the Model160 site.  I'd like to grab one.

Thanks for pointing this out.  Fixed. 

There is also a link to the kit itself in the article where it says "1950's era gas station."

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 06:13:27 PM »
Not just accurate for Gulf stations... a Citgo station that use to be near where I live was of the same design.  As soon as I saw the photo of the model my mind flashed back to when the station use to stand... was tore down to expand some church property when the owner retired.

As far as other pump styles the type shown below are similar to what te station had the last decade or so of its existence...
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/old-gas-pumps-paul-edmondson.jpg

rail and tie

• Crew
    • Inter-Action Hobbies
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »
70's for me. What materials (resin castings, laser cut wood, etc.) are used in constructing the building?

John, the building is made from resin impregnated craft paper board commonly referred to as "Laser board" in the model railroad industry sold by one of our suppliers, North Eastern Lumber. It is lasercut and the construction has inner and outer walls so that detail can be painted first and then assembled for a crisp finish on trim etc. We don't like to use the name Laser Board, as that implies that we buy it from NEL. Though the material is exactly the same stuff, we buy directly from the manufacturer/distributor. We have coined our own term as RIB.

Thanks for the comments and sample shots of the modern style gas pumps people are looking for. We will try and work that into the kit design for future releases. Those shots from fineartamerica.com are the type we will work towards. Can't promise it will be immediate, but will git'er dun!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Enterprises

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »
Not just accurate for Gulf stations... a Citgo station that use to be near where I live was of the same design.  As soon as I saw the photo of the model my mind flashed back to when the station use to stand... was tore down to expand some church property when the owner retired.

As far as other pump styles the type shown below are similar to what te station had the last decade or so of its existence...
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/old-gas-pumps-paul-edmondson.jpg

My dad worked at a Citgo (then Cities Service) part time that looked like that.  I used to help on Saturdays by washing cars and changing tires just for fun.  The real fun was that the Reading had what I called a high line along the station and their yard was in back of the station running on a switchback from the main line.  Wish I had a camera then for all the great Reading stuff I saw there.