Author Topic: ALPS question  (Read 1687 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
ALPS question
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:56:32 AM »
So in regards to generic ALPS info only , what are the standard solid colors ( chart would be nice ) , and very good dithered colors ( again chart would help ) . Would be good to keep on file with associated names or codes .

Richie Dost

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +273
Re: ALPS question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »
The Yahoo group for ALPs decals  has a files section with a spot color chart.  The sample color areas are pretty small.  You can make all sorts of colors, but it can be tricky to overlay them and still have the layers stick together.  Note some of the colors require OKI Red/Green/Blue cartridges. 

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alpsdecal/files/ALPS%20-%20OKI%20Spot%20Colour%20Chart/

Dithering colors together on the same layer can be problematic due to the line sizes used.  I'm not sure if anyone has made dithering work successfully.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
So in regards to generic ALPS info only , what are the standard solid colors ( chart would be nice ) , and very good dithered colors ( again chart would help ) . Would be good to keep on file with associated names or codes .

This is a huge can of worms!  BY default, Alps can only do solid colors by printing 100% density of whatever ink ribbons you can stuff into it.  Of course the printed areas can be printed on top of previously printed ink so the number of colors increases dramatically.  But some Alps printers have ink adhesion problems when the ink is layered. Some printers do fine, others not so well. There are workarounds available to improve adhesion, but they don't always work.  This makes printing decals with Alps more of a black magic or art than just printing.

Dithered colors aren't really viable option for N scale sized decals (like lettering) because Alps (unlike ink jets) have fairly coarse halftone.  It works for things like larger full color images (like the graffiti decal I just printed for some folks in TRW).  I don't knwo if there are any color charts of dithered colors because most quality decal makers shy away from that printing method.  Alps did have RIP available with which it would correctly print Pantone colors.  Again, nobody seems to be using RIP for decal printing (again, the halftone problem).  I belong to 2 Yahoo groups for Alps printers (one has 3000, the other 4000 members) and I see all sorts of stuff being discussed there.

Best reference for color charts is on http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/decals.htm

. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 06:51:24 PM »
This is a huge can of worms!  BY default, Alps can only do solid colors by printing 100% density of whatever ink ribbons you can stuff into it.

Sort of off track, but has anyone actually attempted to make a new ribbon with whatever color?

I can't believe in the 10 years I've had my printer, no other affordable options have ever come along.  :|

Jason

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
Sort of off track, but has anyone actually attempted to make a new ribbon with whatever color?

I can't believe in the 10 years I've had my printer, no other affordable options have ever come along.  :|

Jason

There are dozens of colors available for Alps' siblings (Roland printer/cutters).  But those are resin based (Alps uses wax based ribbons). SO they don't work with Alps.

The problem with Alps is that it is an orphan. The installed database is too small (and shrinking) for any company to seriously consider making new ribbons. Part of the problem is also that Alps is probably being tight with their MicroDry patents.

If you are interested, here is some info about Alps tribulations http://www.systems-consulting.com/alps_history.htm
. . . 42 . . .

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »
I have a basically new ALPS (can't remember the model) and print ribbons that I never gotten around to using. There are times that I think I should sell it and use the precedes to run custom decals whenever I need them.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »
The installed database is too small (and shrinking) for any company to seriously consider making new ribbons.

I wasn't really thinking a company but rather if some individual has ever tried.  I won't pretend to know anything about it, but I just thought after 10+ years (most of that knowing these were going to be phased out) someone might have tried.

Jason

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
Thank for the charts Pete , and all the responces guys .

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
I wasn't really thinking a company but rather if some individual has ever tried.  I won't pretend to know anything about it, but I just thought after 10+ years (most of that knowing these were going to be phased out) someone might have tried.

Jason

Ink ribbons is not something that can be home-brewed. Also, lots of people (including me) tried to get the Alps to print using the widely available resin inks but it is a no go either.
. . . 42 . . .