Author Topic: BLMA or Exactrail  (Read 1211 times)

jpf94

BLMA or Exactrail
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:21:52 AM »
My local hobby shop has both sets of 24 numbers for the 64' reefers from BLMA and Exactrail.  The CFO (wife) has approved buying one of these 24 car sets.  Which brand should I go with?   I have an idea based on appearance, but I'd like to hear from operators which brand operates better?

Thanks

Joe

OHCR 4218

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: BLMA or Exactrail
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:40:13 AM »
I have been happy with my BLMA cars, I would make that choice again.
Brandon
Your layouts nice, but it needs more Conrail !

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 09:38:14 AM »
I've got the BLMA car as well, and the fit and finish really are exceptional. That said, if the CFO is being that generous, why not go 12 and 12?  You don't get complete sets of either, but you get a great train!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Glenn Poole

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »
Is the BLMA set their first run  UP/ARMN or their 2nd run the CEFX?  I have 24 of the UP and 6 of the CEFX and 1 Exactrail.  In my experience, the first run BLMA cars did NOT roll out of the box.  I tweeked and tweeked the trucks, wheels and couplers and finally replaced the wheels with MTs.  I believe BLMA changed their wheels between the runs and my CEFX rolled OK out of the box.  My one Exactrail ran just fine out of the box.  The Exactrail does, however, have MT 1016 couplers instead of the 1015 on the BLMA cars.  I like the 1015 better as it gets the cars closer together.  I would not buy the BLMA UP/ARMN cars.  Just my opinion based on my experience.
Glenn

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »
I agree with Glenn.

The BLMA CEFX run just fine, the first run had some issues. Both Exactrail and BLMA are nice cars. I also prefer the BLMA choice of couplers.
Bill McBride

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:09:58 PM by wmcbride »
Bill McBride

esa123

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »
I agree with above, my BLMA CEFX rolls well and has a nice fit with other cars. The UP/ARMN had difficulty rolling, don't know if this is a systemic problem.

Erik

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
I like them both too.  (Too bad one or the other couldn't have been the BNSF model...)   RE the trucks on the first BLMA run: the side-frames on some of them were squeezed in* (possibly by the process that painted the hubs blue??).  I was able to straighten them out and get decent rolling properties.  By the same token, the ER cars ride low enough that the wheels can sometimes graze the floor.  Neither issue is a show stopper, and both models are state-of-the-art.

FWIW, ExactRail just put their reefers on sale this month for $20.95, though some of the numbers are sold out.

-gfh

* I had a similar problem with the ER waffle-side box cars, so go figure.