Author Topic: 50' PS-1 Box Car options  (Read 1672 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +185
50' PS-1 Box Car options
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
The recent release of the Atlas 40' PS Box Car in N scale highlighted for me the fact that MTL's PS designs appear to have sides that are too tall. As a result I decided to get my fleet more "in line" and have unloaded dozens of Kadee/MTL 40' PS based box cars. I will re-fill my fleet a bit as more Atlas 40' releases come down the pike.

It appears that the MTL 50' PS cars have the same problem, so similarly I have been "dumping".

However, the only other viable 50' PS option appears to be the Roundhouse/Athearn 50' PS1, which aside from the underbody appears to be decent tooling. These have been offered in Single Door, Double Door, and Plug door options. I was thinking I'd order a bunch of Undec shells from the Athearn parts dept and have at it.

The Athearn parts are:
10190 - Single sliding door
10191 - Single Plug Door
10192 - Double Sliding Door
10194 - Roofwalk
Floor - 10001

So, I emailed Athearn parts for prices but today I was informed that none of these parts are currently available.

Oh well ... :facepalm:

I guess I'll just have to wait on this. (Unless someone has some cool ideas!)

Mark

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +531
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: 50' PS-1 Box Car options
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
Welcome to the Golden Age of N scale.  :)

Intermountain doesn't carry carry kits or parts anymore either.  That's put a serious crap in my plans.

As for the 50' PS-1 I'm holding out hope that Atlas will follow up with those after the 40'ers.  Otherwise, the PS-1 is a welded car where the sides could be scratched with the doors, ends and roof from other cars.

Jason

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:22:43 PM »
Intermountain doesn't carry carry kits or parts anymore either...

That's strange. I ordered some reefer parts a few weeks ago and got them pretty quickly.

Hmm... I noticed their
kits are few and far
between...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »
Mark5,

If you do not mind stripping the cars there is an abundance of all three types on the bay. Just search for Athearn PS1 Box Car.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:27:23 PM »
This guy has sold a couple million of these on eBay. None listed currently but you could try to contact him. I have 12 or so of these shells, but I don't think that I am not ready to part with them. He has had almost their entire product line for sale at some point at very good prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-SCALE-PS-1-BOX-SHELLS-UNDECORATED-6-NEW-/390524167440

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
That's strange. I ordered some reefer parts a few weeks ago and got them pretty quickly.

Hmm... I noticed their
kits are few and far
between...

40' reefer parts?  I saw those.  But when they're gone, that could be it unless you can get them to order extra on the next run

IM no longer makes their own production parts.  They make an initial test run in house for new tooling (they have one molding machine left) and then send those parts and the tooling to China. 

In theory, you might be able to get what you want, but not when you want it.  I'm dubious whether even requesting parts from an upcoming run is even going to be possible but we'll see.

As for kits, there's like 6 40' composite gondolas on the shelf.  Beyond that, not much. 

Jason

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »
I'm glad then that over the years, I have amassed a pretty sizable inventory of Intermountain boxcar parts.  ;)
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »
I'm glad then that over the years, I have amassed a pretty sizable inventory of Intermountain boxcar parts.  ;)

You wouldn't have the underframes for Intermountain double door boxcars, would you? I need 13.

Hmm... unlucky number...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:55:30 PM »

I was bummed out at first, but as I looked harder at some of the cars, I saw they aren't nearly as correct as their HO counter parts.  Like the 10'6" modified AAR box car has the wrong ends.

I'm sure it will be many years, but hopefully a new 1937 AAR car and it's variants will find it's to market.  Of course once Rapid Prototyping  comes of age, none of this will ever concern me again.  :)

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1103
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:12:49 PM »
The Athearn/MDC versions of the 50' PS-1 are the way to go, although the ride height must be adjusted.

All of the InterMountain 40' boxcar ends are interchangeable on all the bodies, and you can get parts if you call the company directly, so you should be able to put together prototypical AAR variants by mixing and matching.  If the parts are out of stock, decorated models can be stripped and disassembled.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:44:25 PM »
All of the InterMountain 40' boxcar ends are interchangeable on all the bodies, and you can get parts if you call the company directly, so you should be able to put together prototypical AAR variants by mixing and matching.  If the parts are out of stock, decorated models can be stripped and disassembled.

Interchangeable to a degree.  There's only one end designed for the 10' 6" 40' cars.  The end needed for the 10'6" Modified AAR cars is off the 50' cars which will fit after you trim off the alignment pins.

And how do you remove the ends that are glued to the bodies?  Will they come apart with some effort?

This will probably be what forces me into learning how to cast my own parts, so at some level, it will be a good thing.

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 01:04:49 AM »
I had to buy one of the NYC Pacemaker cars to get the ends to make New Haven AAR Postwar cars.  The roof popped off fairly easily.  I then pushed on the pins from the inside, which provided enough gap to put a #2 blade between the body and end, and twist.  My plan also is to cast them so I can create multiple cars.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 01:57:13 AM »
  My plan also is to cast them so I can create multiple cars.

Well that's a project I'm very interested in collaborating on or contributing to with time or money.

As I said before, one of the big issues is the lack of a 5/5 end for the 10'6" car.  I believe all 10'6" Modified AAR cars are supposed to have them.  I got some spare parts during my visit to IM a couple weeks ago that I'm modifying for the 40' car including accepting a modified ladder, one that doesn't have the lower stirrup.  I would love to have a mold made of these as I'm going to need a bunch.

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »
Interchangeable to a degree.  There's only one end designed for the 10' 6" 40' cars.  The end needed for the 10'6" Modified AAR cars is off the 50' cars which will fit after you trim off the alignment pins.

I'm not as well-versed in the nuances of the corrugation and riveted belt rail patterns from end to end.  I would check the Pacemaker end to see if it matches the 50' car end.  The pins do align somewhat, but I think it is offset sideways by a sliver.  I'm probably going to remove the pins anyway to get the placement to my satisfaction.

I was planning on exploring the casting option in the spring or summer, since I have a lot of stuff going on, but it's definitely something we can work together on if possible.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »

I was planning on exploring the casting option in the spring or summer, since I have a lot of stuff going on, but it's definitely something we can work together on if possible.

Absolutely!  In addition to the Intermountain parts, I'm making a 7 panel superior door for the 10' 6" car from a MTL door and I've started drawings for the Pullman Dart ends for the 10' car.  There's a few other variations too that I think that could get people interested in build some kits again.

Jason