Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/10/13  (Read 17773 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Weekend Update 2/10/13
« on: February 08, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »
Starting early 'cause I need to do something .

Richie Dost

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: Weekend Update 2/10/13
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »
This weekend I'm assembling 80 pairs of Micro-Trains #1027 body mount couplers, and trying to figure out how to put them on 90 cars :P

Once that's done, I have 48 Intermountain tank cars I need to complete, and when that's done...

Hmm... Kiz will be in the
nut house...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
Working on the input end of my paper mill....

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »
Well today was dedicated to shoveling the 35 cm of snow we got (and are still getting) and helping set up for the Annual CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) "Hockey Day in Canada" event, this year being hosted from my home town of Peterborough, Ontario..... (Don Cherry's here..."beauty eh ?"

I have been working on preping some of my Gooderham Goodies as seen in that thread but I also made time (while not sleeping or breathing.....) for a "little project"....

Jeff Briggs cool little Fairmont speeder... I still need to put on the windshield wipers..... (hello opti visor) I painted it kinda like the one we see at Brighton, Ontario's "Memory Junction"

I posed it in front of a old shed I had lying around... It will make a neat "conversation piece" on the layout....

Now if you'll excuse me I have to shovel the driveway....AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:13:13 PM »
How high is the top of your snow ?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:20:01 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »
I bought some decals today. That doesn't count as modeling per se, but the intent to model is clearly demonstrated. Feeling the itch again and just may start on another M420 (one sorta down, four to go). Want to get them all to the point where they can be painted so when I learn how to on dip job models, I'll have some projects ready to go.

If it makes you feel better Pud, I live in a condo and all my shoveling has been vicariously through the contractors that handle that for us  :trollface:

Had a blast driving in it, though!

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »

Solid progress on the Slocan Bridge this week. Add rivets and finished construction, then made piers and abutments and painted/weathered.  Still need to "plant" it and add guard rails.

and one in natural sunlight!

I think I will get on to the much larger Kettle River bridge before finishing the scenery around the Slocan bridge.  Now I am in bridge building mode I think I will stay there for a while.

Have a great weekend!

md

Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +520
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »
Not too much free time recently, but the CRS-20s are progressing.   Base paint is now on with a few touch ups still needed.  Next step is to modify the overly large RS-11 fuel tanks

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »
Hopw high is the top of your snow ?

Largest drift in drive way is reported by the SLSWS (Sammy Loves Snow Weather Service) to be just over 4 ft. In the backyard, it appears to be around 2.5 feet deep.....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »
airbrushing the medusa cement company parts then gluing it all together hopefully will finish by the end of weeekend
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

rsn48

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Furthering my nolix area
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:01:03 PM »
So I am still working on my nolix area and the main wood work construction and sub-road bed is pretty much complete.  My next task is to paint the surface of the plywood sub-road bed for a better gripping surface when I use my AMI.  Since my last postings I have added a number of vertical supports around the layout and added a few in the front of the vertical mountain "ribs."

In this pic I am playing with grocery bag paper to get an idea of the line of sights for the inner backdrop mountain pics, which you are only suppose to get glimpses of from various views in front of the nolix.  This is the beginning stages of me planning the mountains in front:

This next picture is just to give a rough idea to those who have PM'd me, emailed me and talked to me in previous posts wondering how I was going to scenic the area.  So the only area you will see once the mountains in the front are in are the two levels (in the front) that have train cars on them, a river and canyon will seperate them, the rest of the nolix won't be visible:

So slowly I am making progress in this area, once the roadbed and track is in, I'll start on making the mountains.
Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

RWCJr

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »
Finished the roundhouse truss jig. Will get some sleep and start "mass-trussing" tomorrow.

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 01:52:45 AM »
Have been working on some D&H specific working signals for my layout.
This is the D&H canter leaver dual mast search light signal in N scale (work in progress)

This is the finished item

This is a N scale D&H center mast dual search light signal. To be painted.

And finally here is the same type painted and ready to be installed on the layout.
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 02:13:19 AM »
Quite a variety of work on show this week - well done everyone.

Pud - neat to see someone else paint up a Briggs speeder.  They're cute, aren't they?

Andy - the CRS-20s are coming along.  The smaller fuel tanks will make a big difference.

Mark - good work on the bridge.  You have obviously carried your weathering experience with rolling stock over to structures now.

Rick - good to see more progress.  I'm curious - did you give any thought to hiding the second level and exposing the third to provide even more scenic space between turns?

Not a lot of modelling time for me this week due to Open House at school and an orchestra concert tonight, but I did manage to complete assembly of my Minibox power car:

I thought that cutting out the side doors and getting the inserts installed would be the biggest job, but all the grab irons to be formed and the ladders to be modified definitely kept me busy for a while.  It is now ready for the paint shop, and I have to generate some decals for it.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 02:29:55 AM »
"This weekend I'm assembling 80 pairs of Micro-Trains #1027 body mount couplers, and trying to figure out how to put them on 90 cars"

80 pairs for 90 cars?  Drawbars between some of the cars?  The prototype's done it on quite a few car types over the years.
N Kalanaga
Be well