Author Topic: Modutrak Signal Progress  (Read 2507 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
Modutrak Signal Progress
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:37:41 PM »
We've been making progress on the signaling system on the Modutrak layout.  With any luck, we'll have a couple working block signals at the N Scale National convention later this week.

One of the things we've been trying to nail down is the bouncing roundel in a prototype searchlight signal.  The roundel has a red lens straight up with a green and yellow to either side.  The signal is energized to throw the roundel to green or yellow, with unenergized being weighted back to red.  For safety reasons, a lack of power will always display red as the weights center the roundel.  (To see a prototype bouncing roundel, check out this video:
/>
So, with a couple modules wired with detectors and signal drivers today, we tested with a BeNscale signal head.  Here's a quick video: Not a valid vimeo URL

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Modutrak Signal Progress
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:54:37 PM »
Mike,
I'd say you nailed it from a mechanism look, but since the original NYC film isn't in color - assessing that part is a tad tougher.  Still looks good though!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:04:04 PM »
Excellent simulation of the bounce, Mike! I programmed a similar simulation a while back using a BASIC Stamp for a driver. Too expensive to deploy, however.

About where was the bounce shown in the film? (Love the film, BTW.) I must have missed it when the dog distracted me. Anyway, here is another video showing the bounce and the red flash going from yellow to green:
/>

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:35:34 PM »
Love it, great work!
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »
Looks very cool!  Do you plan on publicizing your standard anywhere?

-Dave

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49:25 AM »
'Chit mon!...You guys blow me away.... :D  How cool is that!!!

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:03:53 PM »
Excellent simulation of the bounce, Mike! I programmed a similar simulation a while back using a BASIC Stamp for a driver. Too expensive to deploy, however.

About where was the bounce shown in the film? (Love the film, BTW.) I must have missed it when the dog distracted me. Anyway, here is another video showing the bounce and the red flash going from yellow to green:
/>

Bounce is just after the linked start of the video, around 6:53.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »
Looks very cool!  Do you plan on publicizing your standard anywhere?

-Dave

One of these days the whole Modutrak thing will get put into words.  Making a build-manual is almost as time consuming as building the modules... so it's taking awhile.

MRLX1020

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 12:32:53 AM »
You guys nailed the absolute best part of riding in a darkened dome car at night anywhere there were searchlight signals - that magical bounce!  Very, very cool!

Kinda want to shrink down to ride a Kato CZ around the layout........  Keep up the good work!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 01:36:52 AM »
You guys nailed the absolute best part of riding in a darkened dome car at night anywhere there were searchlight signals - that magical bounce!  Very, very cool!

Kinda want to shrink down to ride a Kato CZ around the layout........  Keep up the good work!

What I find amazing that the micro-controller circuits (one per signal) dedicated to create this effect most likely have more processing power (CPU speed and amount of memory) than the computers used in the Apollo capsules which flew to the moon and back!  Those computers were used to calculate the flight and landing parameters.  Human lives and prestige of the United States depended on the success of those missions.

And here, some miniature computers (a micro-controller is a computer by definition) are used strictly to flash some tiny lights on a train layout, solely for the enjoyment of bunch of gown guys playing with little toy trains.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:43:35 AM »
Now that is SLICK!

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 01:49:41 AM »
Definitely Slick

I mocked up something like this, but I like yours better.   :o

-Dave

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »
Very nice!  I really need to get out there and see Modutrack in person some time.