Author Topic: Updating 1st-run Kato Mikado?  (Read 3318 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3130
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Updating 1st-run Kato Mikado?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 06:34:49 AM »
Roger, I belive Max Magliaro tried to make a groove in some non-TT drivers and was unsuccessful as peteski suggests.  I also performed and videoed at performance study on youtube showing that pulling performance was lessened with two axles having traction tires.

The test is by no means scientific, but I was left thinking that two TT drivers did not improve pulling performance and that Kato got it right.  I have not been able to determine why, but I thik it might be that because of the runout of the rubber thickness on the TT drivers, that they temporarily lift one side or the other, alternating and affecting the traction of the other axle.

jbcz

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 07:23:05 AM »
Mike

Yes, the Kato drawbars work with Bachmann tenders.  I have used three with three of the Mikes that I got in Kato's sale.  You simply have to make an insert (i.e., a small washer) to place on the truck pivot because the hole in the Kato drawbar is larger than on the Bachmann drawbar.  Easy fix, has worked without an issue.

Bruce

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »
Roger, I belive Max Magliaro tried to make a groove in some non-TT drivers and was unsuccessful as peteski suggests.  I also performed and videoed at performance study on youtube showing that pulling performance was lessened with two axles having traction tires.
The test is by no means scientific, but I was left thinking that two TT drivers did not improve pulling performance and that Kato got it right.  I have not been able to determine why, but I thik it might be that because of the runout of the rubber thickness on the TT drivers, that they temporarily lift one side or the other, alternating and affecting the traction of the other axle.

Adding a second tired axle has improved all the locos I have done it too. It really doesn't change much straight line on perfect track but when you get to uneven track, it keeps on going instead of slipping in dips and over frogs. My 2-10-2 went from around 70 car to 88 cars on N trak, so much so that the motor started over heating.
Tony Hines

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 06:58:04 PM »
Kato had traction tire drivers back in stock this morning.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.