Author Topic: Why do I have such trouble with Bachmann steamers?  (Read 1139 times)

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +151
Why do I have such trouble with Bachmann steamers?
« on: February 10, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »
I like Bachmann's commitment to steam, but I have been experiencing problems with Spectrum steamers.

I first started out with a first-run Spectrum 2-8-0.  I had to send the original back because the traction tire driver would not make contact with rails, and there was a quartering issue.  They sent me a new one, which solved the problem with the traction tire but the mechanism was not smooth.  So I sent that one back as well, and am waiting for a new one. 

Along the way, I picked up one of the new DCC equipped 2-8-0s.  This one throws a traction tire all the time, and the mechanism is very jerky, despite tinkering with it, so I have to send it back.

Has anyone else experienced quality control issues with Bachmann steamers?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:58:36 PM by mike_lawyer »

Mark.S+10

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Why do I have such trouble with Bachmann steamers?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »
In short, yes.  Bachmann has quality control problems, but then so do most other manufactures.  I have over 30 B-mann steamers and it seems somewhere between one in three and one in five has problems.  This rate of errors is higher than I've experienced with any other company.  Usually, when I send it back, the maintenance department sends me a good one but a couple of times I've had to send them back twice.  I buy them all on ebay from "The Favorite Spot" and pay rock bottom prices.  I consider the cost to send it back to Bachmann part of the cost of the locomotive.  My most recent acquisition is a 2-6-0 Mogul.  I paid $55.00 for it.  It ran great for the first several hours, but now has started stalling and making a loud popping noise.  Back to B-mann it goes.    Hopefully, in about six weeks I’ll get a good one back.

Have fun, Mark

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »
It is not clear from your post to whom you are returning the locomotives.
I have returned steam locomotives directly to Bachmann and am very satisfied with the service
as well as with the replacement locomotives.

In October 2012, I wrote to them as follows:
"The 2-10-2 engine driver rod became disconnected; engine was stalling prior to this when on a curve.
The 4-8-2 engine just stopped running."

Outcome, Bachmann called me about replacing the locomotives; no 4-8-2's were available.
They asked if they could send me another 2-10-2.
The new locomotives work fine. 

I have two of the non-dual mode 2-8-0s working fine, one got mildly out of quarter, but I was able to readjust.
No lose of traction tires to date.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:05:37 PM by rogergperkins »

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:52:53 PM »
I had a Bachmann 2-8-0 that I returned twice and then sold off the 3rd one Bachmann sent me.  I had the 3rd one worked on by one of the experienced repair guys (decades of experience) at Caboose Hobbies in Denver also.  It never did run smoothly.  I've noticed, over the years, my definition of running smoothly is more demanding than other people's.  If it only runs smoothly at a scale 80mph, that doesn't work for me.  If it has even a slight binding at slower speeds, that doesn't work for me.  I had a Life-Like 2-8-4 and 2-8-8-2 that genuinely ran smoothly, but they could barely pull anything.  Sold them off too.

All that said, Bachmann did have excellent customer service.  They made it easy to return the locomotives.  They probably would have kept swapping them out as long as I was dissatisfied.

Erik
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:58:55 PM by Erik W »

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 04:08:29 PM »
It is not clear from your post to whom you are returning the locomotives.
I have returned steam locomotives directly to Bachmann and am very satisfied with the service
as well as with the replacement locomotives.

In October 2012, I wrote to them as follows:
"The 2-10-2 engine driver rod became disconnected; engine was stalling prior to this when on a curve.
The 4-8-2 engine just stopped running."

Outcome, Bachmann called me about replacing the locomotives; no 4-8-2's were available.
They asked if they could send me another 2-10-2.
The new locomotives work fine. 

I have two of the non-dual mode 2-8-0s working fine, one got mildly out of quarter, but I was able to readjust.
No lose of traction tires to date.

Just to clarify, I have been sending them back to Bachmann.  Their customer support has been excellent, it's just that I have been running into performance issues with locomotives.

I guess I am comparing running characteristics with the Kato 2-8-2, which to me has always run superbly straight from the box.

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 04:10:14 PM »
Sorry, must step up on my Soap Box.
As long as purchasers do NOT return faulty merchandise to the manufacturer,
the manufacturers will not realize the extent and cost of their problems.

My practice for items purchased at e-tailers is to call them and return the product them;
they obviously have a vested interest as does the manufacturer in solving quality issues.

Mike, you posted as I was writing.
I have 5 Kato 2-8-2s and think they are fine locomotives. Also have 3 Kato GS-4s and have had to send one back to Kato USA.
Overall I like Kato, just wish they would get on the dual mode approach with steam, diesel and electric locomotives.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:13:11 PM by rogergperkins »

Mark.S+10

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Right on Rodger!  I also return them to Bachmann not to the seller.  They have great warranty service but I want them to be aware of the problems.  Also, I seem to have better luck getting a good one after returning it to Bachmann.  I thinks the service people test run the engines before sending out the warranty replacement.  When you get a good one it seems to run fine for years.

Have fun, Mark

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 06:04:18 PM »
Yes, I am not bashing Bachmann in any way, I'm just looking forward to getting one that works really well out of the box!