Author Topic: Bachmann 70 Ton Handrail Stanchion Poll.  (Read 1461 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Bachmann 70 Ton Handrail Stanchion Poll.
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:42:49 PM »
I'm looking to poll owners of the Bachmann GE 70 Ton locomotive to see if all the yellow (or maybe any color) hand rail stanchion are not straight vs. the black, which seem to look better in pictures.

Can anyone chime in?  I have a red with yellow hand rails which has crooked stanchions.  I'm looking to buy a couple more and might get ones with black handrails.  But if there's no difference I can order whatever.

If anyone has multiple units to compare, that would be great.

Thanks,

Jason

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Re: Bachmann 70 Ton Handrail Stanchion Poll.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
I have the green one with yellow handrails,the railings themselves are bent slightly but I discovered that at the cab end both railings were out of their holes.Putting them back in place helped but they are still not real straight.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

sdodge

• Crew
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:06:38 PM »
All I can say is that I have 2 yellow ones and the black handrails are straight.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:52:15 AM »

I have a yellow and they are crooked.  Putting them into the holes properly helps a bit, but they are still crooked.

If I will hurl any brickbats and Bachpersonn over this one or the 44 tonner, it would be over the handrails.  If you take them off to repaint or letter, they will NOT go back in properly.  I am going to have to reconstruct some for the one 44 tonner that I tried to letter.  Fortunately, it was for a non-historic railroad, so if they are off a bit from the factory, I can blame it on a custom job or an alteration made in the railroad's shops after a wreck, or something.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 06:39:33 AM »
I just had a customer send me one for handrail replacement due to breakage - he'd custom-painted his and the handrails were a casualty.   Discovered that my original etched brass handrails for my resin kit do work as replacements for the Bachmann plastic ones.   So if it bugs you enough..... PM me and deals can be made.

The etched brass  ones bend on impact, of course, but can be bent right back and hold paint just fine.

I don't have that many sets left of these, have been wondering what to do with them (the 70-tonner brass steps are highly multipurpose) so there's some divine justice in here from my standpoint as Bachmann's 70-tonner ended the kit interest with a bang.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:45:29 AM by randgust »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »
Sounds like the shrinkage properties of the plastic were affected by the color used. 

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »
Sounds like the shrinkage properties of the plastic were affected by the color used.

I heard that's why black dildos are always bigger.  ;)

The color vs. shrink thing is basically what I'm trying to get some numbers on with the poll.  I first saw this problem with some Atlas locomotives with color matched handrails.  The handrails shrank which causes the sill to warp when put together.  I was very shocked (and disappointed) to find Atlas holding stuff together with tape to try and overcome this.

I would probably just get a black unit in the future anyway since I discovered that the entire frame,  on the red one is painted red.

Thanks to those who responded.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »
I just had a customer send me one for handrail replacement due to breakage - he'd custom-painted his and the handrails were a casualty.   Discovered that my original etched brass handrails for my resin kit do work as replacements for the Bachmann plastic ones.   So if it bugs you enough..... PM me and deals can be made.

I don't suppose you made a 'Drop Step' version of the front and read hand rails? That would be a clincher.

Jason