Author Topic: Atlas motors in GP30's  (Read 1722 times)

dualgauge

• Respect: 0
Atlas motors in GP30's
« on: February 03, 2013, 06:02:08 PM »
I have a new digital Atlas GP30 with scale speed motor I want to consist to Atlas GP9 with the older fast motor. Have tried changing speed of GP9 to run with GP30 and not having any luck. Will a higher speed motor from a different Atlas engine drop in the GP30 til can get a slow speed motor in the GP9. Thank you in advance.
Dan Brown

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1709
    • My website
Re: Atlas motors in GP30's
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:35:42 PM »
Dan,

Almost all motors in Atlas loco for the last 25 years are the same size.  One big exception is the MP15, which uses a tiny motor.

The bigger difference will be in the flywheels.  Some are bigger than others.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +226
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:49:39 PM »
Depending on the number of locos you have, it is probably best to standardize on the new Scale Speed motors going forward. All new Atlas locos have the Scale Speed motor, and at some point Atlas will most likely discontinue older parts.

Plus the Scale Speed motors gives much better performance at low-speeds.

The latest Scale Speed motor for the GP9 is Atlas Part 480100 (light gray plastic).

The Atlas Parts website remains offline for upgrades, but I called them on the phone and they were super-helpful and shipped my order quickly.

Cheers
--
Tim Benson

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

Freight Train

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »
Depending on the number of locos you have, it is probably best to standardize on the new Scale Speed motors going forward. All new Atlas locos have the Scale Speed motor, and at some point Atlas will most likely discontinue older parts.

Plus the Scale Speed motors gives much better performance at low-speeds.

The latest Scale Speed motor for the GP9 is Atlas Part 480100 (light gray plastic).

The Atlas Parts website remains offline for upgrades, but I called them on the phone and they were super-helpful and shipped my order quickly.

Cheers
+1     This is what I would do too....Just update the older motor with a new scale speed one
Phoenix Southside Connecting Railroad (H0)
Moose River Railroad (N)

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:03:45 PM »
Rather then paying retail for the scale speed motor for the GP9, buy a GP9 with a scale speed motor off of Ebay. Swap mechanisms, and resell the engine you don't need. Be sure to mention the motor swap. I see GP9's with scale speed motors going for less than $40 on Ebay all of the time. When the smoke clears you might come close to breaking even and not even have to break open your mechanism.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +408
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:07:40 AM »
... Be sure to mention the motor swap.  ...

Because it's the right thing to do or because some guys will pay more (or the same) for the faster motor?

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1709
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:55:36 AM »
Because some people would be MAD   :x
if he was expecting a scale speed motor- only to find out it had been removed.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

fredmoehrle

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
Or do what my friend did.
Just buy the motor assembly and ebay the old one.
Said he just about broke even.