Author Topic: Metal Wheels for Passenger Trucks  (Read 2231 times)

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
Metal Wheels for Passenger Trucks
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
... and while we're on the topic, what are the metal wheelset options for use with the (4-wheel) MT Commonwealth trucks?

Recommendations?

Part numbers? 

Thanks!
Regards,
Paul

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Metal Wheels for Passenger Trucks
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »
Fox Valley 36" metal wheels - different part number for different trucks... I wimp out and use MT Commonwealth but plan to get the new Shapeways trucks for my CPR lightweights................
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

PAL_Houston

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03:13 PM »
Fox Valley 36" metal wheels - different part number for different trucks... I wimp out and use MT Commonwealth but plan to get the new Shapeways trucks for my CPR lightweights................

I was hoping you guys that do passenger stuff all the time would have this written down somewhere because you do so much of it.
But you are going to make me get out my micrometer, aren't you?
Regards,
Paul

zephyr9900

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:22:43 PM »
...Shapeways trucks...
Where's the ears-pricking-up icon?  I did a search on "Shapeways trucks" and only came up with your post.  Are you talking about direct-printed trucks?  That would play directly into my recent custom pinpoint axle request ...

Randy

PAL_Houston

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »
Well, to (try to) answer my own question:

I did get out the micrometer and the plastic wheelsets in my MT Commonwealth trucks measured about 0.530, so I am guessing what I want is the FVM 0.540 x 36-inch wheelsets which are part numbers FVM 3601 (for 12) or FVM 3601-100 (for 100).

I would appreciate someone confirming that for me, since apparently there are also 0.526 x 36-inch wheelsets available.....??
Regards,
Paul

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »
Yes Paul,
I used the FVM 3601's in the new MT trucks under some brass Pecos River cars and they look and roll awesome!
A $74 bucks per 100 not cheap, but fabulous! They have the .540" axle.
Regards, Otto

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:57:44 PM »
I just put some Fox Valley wheels in my centrailia car shops passenger cars, which have the Commonwealth 4 wheel truck under them by micro trains.  I used the .540 axle width and 36" diameter wheels.  The run and look great, but I did have to bend the brake shoes out on all four corners of every truck, otherwise the brake shoes drag and well....the brake!  Using the 33" wheels just looks way too small, so all in all I think its worth the little adjustment to use 36" wheels.  They roll great and look great!

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »
How about the new MTL 6 axle passenger trucks? I picked up a set of FVM 36" 540 axles and they are extremely tight.

Nick
Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/

WinooskiRiver

• Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »
I recently replaced the plastic wheel sets on a pair of Micro-Trains heavyweight sleepers with Fox Valley Models 36" Std Wheels w/.540" axles. Although they do roll, they do not roll freely. Is there some way to tune them?

NYC1956

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »
NWSL 37418-4 for MTL passenger trucks (1017 & 1018).
I have not yet checked the fit for the new 6-wheel trucks on the MTL heavyweights.
Modeling the NYC of the early 1950s

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »
Nick, Winooski, I am baffled. I don't like to spread misinformation so tonight I double checked my previous post about the FVM wheelsets and replaced all six wheelsets in a brand new MT Pullman with FVM 3601's, 36" wheels w/.540 Axle. They look and roll great, just like my other cars, not tight at all.

Is the center axle on your trucks tight as well? The new MT Pullman trucks do not have an outer frame rigidly connecting the sideframe extremities like other trucks. Is it possible the sideframes on your trucks are slightly pushed inward, in which case a a gentle effort to pry them open might help. Or, is it possible you got .553's in a mislabeled baggie....this happened to a friend with a pack of 33" wheels ...
Best, Otto K.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
I started work replacing the plastic wheels on my MT Commonwealth trucks with the FVM 36" x 0.540 metal wheels. 
Seems like every on of these also needs to have the brake shoes adjusted so they don't bind on the wheels.  Anyone have a good way to do this so they don't bind, but also don't look deformed?
Regards,
Paul

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 01:48:38 AM »
I have that same experience putting 36" wheelsets in Con-Cor heavyweights.  The larger wheel diameter causes the wheels to hit the brake shoes.  I wish I had some magic process, but I just grab the brakeshoe with some tweezers and bend it out "a little" until it
doesn't hit.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:21:05 AM »
Well, to (try to) answer my own question:

I did get out the micrometer and the plastic wheelsets in my MT Commonwealth trucks measured about 0.530, so I am guessing what I want is the FVM 0.540 x 36-inch wheelsets which are part numbers FVM 3601 (for 12) or FVM 3601-100 (for 100).

I would appreciate someone confirming that for me, since apparently there are also 0.526 x 36-inch wheelsets available.....??

On the few MTL four-wheel trucks that I have remaining, I used InterMountain 36" wheelsets and removed the brake shoes (since the trucks were designed for 33" wheels).  I believe that is what IMRC does with the Centralia cars as well.  In most cases, I use Kato or Walthers trucks.  If no lighting is necessary, I simply turn the metal contact tabs inward.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net