Author Topic: Life-Like Parts  (Read 1940 times)

NARmike

• Crew
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: +1
    • N Scale NAR
Life-Like Parts
« on: February 01, 2013, 08:10:40 AM »
Is there a source for Life-Like Proto 2000 parts? I've found a deal on a couple proto GP-18s but they have dynamic brakes and it would be nice if I could find a couple of non-dynamic inserts for them.

Mike
Mike Maisonneuve
Modeling the Northern Alberta Railway's Peace River subdivision in N scale
http://nscalenar.blogspot.ca/

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +264
Re: Life-Like Parts
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »
Mike,
PM sent.
Clint

PGE-N°2

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »
I have another Life-Like part I'm trying to find. Does anyone have any spare clips for holding the couplers into the body shell on the C-Liners. I bought a couple used C-Liners, once and they were missing those clips  :|. Fortunately the FA set still had theirs.
Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-face/sets/72157603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »
... and if someone finds the clips I'd love an undec sheel to salvage the pilot off due to a CPR C Liner taking the "terrible tumble of termination"...... :(
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

kalbert

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »
I avoid LifeLike like the plague when possible. Their parts are either made from unobtainium or costprohibitium. Unfortunately some LifeLike are decent and relatively inexpensive and I am lured into the trap...

PGE-N°2

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:21:51 AM »
I avoid LifeLike like the plague when possible. Their parts are either made from unobtainium or costprohibitium. Unfortunately some LifeLike are decent and relatively inexpensive and I am lured into the trap...

That's quite the conundrum. For the most part I am happy with my Life-Like units. The only ones I haven't liked were their early geeps with hideous oversize radiator fans, but they did have one advantage over Atlas in that the dynamic brake housings were separate moldings, and could be easily popped off and replaced with blanks, or vice-versa if you wanted a dynamic brake equipped unit. *Again, provided you actually had the spare parts.

I guess my quest now, is to find some way to mount the couplers to a shell where no mounting is available.

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »
I have another Life-Like part I'm trying to find. Does anyone have any spare clips for holding the couplers into the body shell on the C-Liners. I bought a couple used C-Liners, once and they were missing those clips  . Fortunately the FA set still had theirs.

I think you will find that some common sense was used with those clips. I have used Atlas ones on a couple of my locos. May be worth a try.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

PGE-N°2

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »
I think you will find that some common sense was used with those clips. I have used Atlas ones on a couple of my locos. May be worth a try.

Regards

Al

Common sense...? What's that...?  :facepalm:

I never considered that, but that is an incredibly wise suggestion. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »
When Lifelike was still Life Like, it was actually pretty easy to get parts from them; I bought an entire sw1200 mechanism and several pairs of trucks from them.

With Walthers, don't even think about it.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 02:59:42 AM »
PGE No2,

If that does not work send me a PM I have another solution.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
Prior to Walthers, Life-Like was great about parts--but you did have to call them! I think that was the secret. And the number wasn't the published one.