Author Topic: Coil cars in N  (Read 3224 times)

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
Re: Coil cars in N
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 12:52:11 AM »
Those would fit my ear nicely, .....

That's gotta hurt ! :P

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 01:05:17 AM »
What about some of these? http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1920023

Personally, I would love some of the BN/BNSF Coil CARe and Coil CARe XL cars, but I would take one or two of those Conrail beauties too....see them often in north Texas.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 02:59:25 AM »
Personally, I would love some of the BN/BNSF Coil CARe and Coil CARe XL cars,

I could use those by the train load, literally:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=405499&nseq=1
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=367160&nseq=12

Click on the links for a pair of gorgeous coil train photos - especially the first one - by N scaler Joe Gartman.  This car has been on my top 5 list for a while, but getting them produced now - with the Atlas cars out - is a long shot.  Bashing and painting a few is a possibility, but not by the train load...

OHCR 4218

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 09:12:07 AM »
Mmmmmm Conrail Coilshields, I could use quite a few of those. Good thing Mr. walet is safe for now.
Your layouts nice, but it needs more Conrail !

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »
I could use those by the train load, literally:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=405499&nseq=1
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=367160&nseq=12

Click on the links for a pair of gorgeous coil train photos - especially the first one - by N scaler Joe Gartman.  This car has been on my top 5 list for a while, but getting them produced now - with the Atlas cars out - is a long shot.  Bashing and painting a few is a possibility, but not by the train load...

Gary, I'm not so sure these can't get done.   I've been looking for detailed plans...I have some with major dimensions but none that I could use for rendering in 3D.   But the basic frame should be fairly straightforward (from my layman's point of view of course) and then it's just details--some of which could maybe come from Atlas--and some BLMA trucks and you're good to go.   I think a pewter (or some other metal) frame could be done fairly easily by someone that had plans that knew what they were doing.  It would have to be metal, and even then probably loaded with metal coils, to work/track very well I think, but I suppose if it was a solid unit train of empties  or at least at the end of the train (which was common from photos I've seen) you might get by with it.

If we can get plans, I would be up for partnering ($) with one or two others to try and see if we can get these done and not lose money.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »
Gary, I'm not so sure these can't get done.   I've been looking for detailed plans...I have some with major dimensions but none that I could use for rendering in 3D.   But the basic frame should be fairly straightforward (from my layman's point of view of course) and then it's just details--some of which could maybe come from Atlas--and some BLMA trucks and you're good to go.   I think a pewter (or some other metal) frame could be done fairly easily by someone that had plans that knew what they were doing.  It would have to be metal, and even then probably loaded with metal coils, to work/track very well I think, but I suppose if it was a solid unit train of empties  or at least at the end of the train (which was common from photos I've seen) you might get by with it.

If we can get plans, I would be up for partnering ($) with one or two others to try and see if we can get these done and not lose money.

I could use 20 or 30...and am not opposed to an investment...long as it gets done in my lifetime...dunno why RC hasn't done more BNSF, they seem to have sold well enough.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +226
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »
The BNSF / BN "COIL CARe" and XL version are on my N scale bucket list.

Just like Gary and Jim, I need a solid unit train of these for my Tehachapi Pass layout.

The BNSF website has some nice info and plans in PDF format:
      http://www.bnsf.com/customers/equipment/covered-coil-car/

I have to agree with Gary though - now that Atlas have done a more modern version, I'm thinking we won't see these anytime soon (if ever).

I'd be up for a kit or rapid prototype version, and I would need at least thirty.

I have compromised and slowly been amassing a fleet of Red Caboose BNSF Evans 100T coil cars as stand-ins. They don't look too bad without the covers on them. Intermountain / Red Caboose have re-issued them in BNSF Wedge, but not straight BNSF - which is frustrating. They sell well on eBay.

Cheers
--
Tim Benson

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 06:40:28 PM »
So, among 4 people we already have about a hundred cars spoken for.   I've always heard the magic number for a project like this is 300...hmmm.   Since this thread started with an eastern/PRR slant, I'm gonna start a new thread and see where we can go with this.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »
I have compromised and slowly been amassing a fleet of Red Caboose BNSF Evans 100T coil cars as stand-ins. They don't look too bad without the covers on them. Intermountain / Red Caboose have re-issued them in BNSF Wedge, but not straight BNSF - which is frustrating. They sell well on eBay.

Really? I don't recall any runs in BNSF since IM took over production handling, and I thought I was paying attention...  I don't think these are foobs for this service, just not very common; but if you look closely...

Go for it Doug!

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +226
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 02:49:24 AM »
Really? I don't recall any runs in BNSF since IM took over production handling, and I thought I was paying attention...  I don't think these are foobs for this service, just not very common; but if you look closely...

I could have sworn I saw runs of BNSF New Image announced by Intermountain a year or so ago, but Google tells me I must have imagined it.

Intermountain release schedules are a bit of a mystery to me. I need to get a reliable pre-order scheme in place, but I really don't like unexpected credit card bills when things randomly come into stock.

Thanks for the proto photo showing my 20 Evans Coil cars are not complete foobies!

Cheers
--
Tim Benson

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »
I was a little skeptical of the RC evans coil car it just didn't look right so I tried some BLMA 100 Ton trucks on a few of them and wow what a difference the cars look way better  :o  8). These cars are pretty good models. It was just the trucks they come with were killing the appearance.