Author Topic: Sneak Peek: Prairie Shadows' Pte. St. Charles Van  (Read 5069 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +84
Re: Sneak Peek: Prairie Shadows' Pte. St. Charles Van
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
No Mike, I don't mind at all.  Whatever it takes.  I just would like to know how to do it myself.  I would have more to post if I knew how to do it.  I read the instructions provided by DKS so maybe he'll chime in and let me know how I screwed up.

Thanks for the compliments on the caboose.  It rides a bit high on the trucks and, so far, I haven't been able to figure out a way to correct that.  It's acceptable as-is so I'm not too worried about it.

Doug

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +789
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »
The problem with the flickr link is that the URL you were using was pointing to a web page not an image file.  You could have used URL tags with that address, which would have provided a link to the page:

Code: [Select]
[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcr751/8417177465/[/url]
like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcr751/8417177465/

If you want to embed the image, you need a URL that points directly to an image file.  In flicker you can use the "grab the HTML/BB Code" option under Share to get a suitable address:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8236/8417177465_783bbfae1a_c.jpg[/img]
Note the .jpg in the address.  This is what I did when I edited your post above.  flickr doesn't make this very obvious though...

-gfh

P.S. Nice job on the van!!  The bulkhead flat is sweet too!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:20:57 PM by GaryHinshaw »

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2013, 09:08:08 PM »
For what it's worth, here is my version of the N-Scale Athabasca Pte. St. Charles caboose kit.  It wasn't an easy build.  I also added a lot of post-construction details.  It is meant to represent one of the CN cabooses purchased by BC Rail for use on the coal trains coming out of northeastern BC.

Doug

edit - fixed image link.  See explanation here.  -gfh

Doug,
Very nice work on the Van!! What did you use for the trucks under this beauty? I'm at the point now with mine that I need to know what to put under it for trucks.

Jon

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 09:17:30 PM »
The trucks are Micro Trains archbar trucks with FVM low-profile, narrow tread 33" wheels (sorry for the crappy photo).  I can't remember the part number for the trucks off hand.  As mentioned previously, the caboose rides a bit high on the trucks.  It isn't the fault of the trucks.  The bolsters on the caboose are slightly too high and since it's brass, I don't think it can be adjusted without major modificaiton.  At present, I'm ok with it.

Doug

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +1346
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2013, 10:00:57 PM »
I didn't realize Jeff was so far along with the bulkhead flatcars.  I better get in touch with him as there is a lot to be fixed on those BCOL ones - yikes.

Good on him for getting these products to market though.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

mdeberg

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »
WOW This will be another awesome car when ready.  Looks extremely nice and well tooled.

Sneek / Sneek Peak Prairie Shadows Bulkhead - Its a Canadian prototype, Hawker - Siddeley 52'8" bulkhead flat. Done in Horribly Oversized by Trueline and Walthers. Not on Jeff's website yet.

Introduced in 1972, the prototype Canadian 50' Bulkhead Flat Cars quickly became favorites of the lumber industry. Built by Hawker-Siddeley, the cars were large for the era, offering a loading area of 52'8" between the bulkheads. Distinctive, chunky end bulkheads on the cars helped keep lumber bundles from sliding off the ends of the car - a common problem with non-bulkhead cars. When constructed, the cars were used to haul finished lumber from Canadian sawmills, but today are used in all kinds of service including steel, wallboard and logs, in addition to lumber.
Thank you,
Mike DeBerg

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »
I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that information about the trucks for the Athabasca caboose.  They are NOT archbar trucks, they are swing-motion trucks by Micro Trains.  Sorry for any confusion.

Doug

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 04:57:01 PM »
I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that information about the trucks for the Athabasca caboose.  They are NOT archbar trucks, they are swing-motion trucks by Micro Trains.  Sorry for any confusion.

Doug

Thanks for the info Doug. I just read your first post and thought Archbar might not be the right truck for this.

Jon

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +709
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2013, 10:06:06 AM »
So I was all set to ignore the bulkhead flats - until I learned the E&LS has a bunch they bought and repainted.  Since that's the "hometown" railroad now in Green Bay (for the In-Laws) I better do a couple for interchange service.

Yet I don't see how to order them on the Prairie Shadows website - where might I find them on the interwebs?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B