Author Topic: Removing lettering from a specific N scale model  (Read 897 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
Removing lettering from a specific N scale model
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »
I purchased a Con-Cor CB&Q Pioneer Zephyr (single headlight) and want to remove the logo and some of the lettering. Has anyone done this on this specific model? I am aware of all the options for removing lettering, but I would like to find what worked or, more importantly, didn't work. This is an expensive loco and I would really hate to screw it up. If I could have found an undec., I'd have bought it.

BTW I would trade the CB&Q for an unlettered version if someone is interested.

Thanks in advance
CG

Burlington Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Re: Removing lettering from a specific N scale model
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:22 PM »
By  mecgp7;

I purchased a Con-Cor CB&Q Pioneer Zephyr (single headlight) and want to remove the logo and some of the lettering

Sacrilege!!! Heresy!!!  What are you thinking!!!? :D
Everywhere West

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:15 PM »
I have considered buying an undec and putting the BNSF logo on front to use as a business train.  But yes, kind of pricey for a fantasy scheme.  Maybe someday...
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
Con-Cor lettering is very tricky..

Most liquid methods seem to attack the underlying paint before or at least at the same time as the lettering

What I have found that works is to take a piece of 2000+ grit (fabric based) sand paper, a q-tip, a toothpick (or pencil.. something with a somewhat firm sharp point), and a bowl of water

Fold the sandpaper in half (grit side out) and slide the toothpick into the fold where the point comes down to the fold.

Then find a way to roll/fold the sand paper to create a (more or less) point at the end of the toothpick..

Dip the Q-tip in the water and blot the water on the surface with lettering to be removed.

Then dip the pointy sand paper in the water, and begin to lightly rub the sandpaper across the lettering areas (Circular patterns at first)..

You should see some black (or whatever color the lettering is) powder form within the water.. (Water keeps the powder from sticking to the model).. Frequently rinse and repeat the process until all lettering is removed.  If you start seeing the base coat in the water then your going too far, or not hitting the lettering with the point.

NOTE:  The result may leave a dull surface on the base color which can be resolved with a bit of gloss coat.

It takes some practice so may want to try on a cheap model first..

I've done it on several Con-Cor Autoracks, and it does work..

~Ian

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:13:40 PM by learmoia »
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:28:45 AM »
Thanks Ian. I agree that Con Cor lettering can be different. I once tried to strip a hopper and all the paint came off except the lettering! Sounds like a real possibility and I will try it after practicing on another piece or two. Not sure where I will find the sandpaper in my area, but I'm sure it can be had online.

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:21:11 AM »
Not sure where I will find the sandpaper in my area, but I'm sure it can be had online.

I'd try an auto parts store; they generally have high-number sandpapers for paint-and-body work.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1918
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »
A well stocked local neighborhood hardware store (not Home Depot or Lowe's) should also carry good selection of wet/dry sandpaper. I get mine the local True Value store.  They have lots of stuff not carried by the big box hardware stored (like gynormous selection of nuts and bolts).
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm puzzled!!!!

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 09:20:31 PM »
Thanks Ian. I agree that Con Cor lettering can be different. I once tried to strip a hopper and all the paint came off except the lettering! Sounds like a real possibility and I will try it after practicing on another piece or two. Not sure where I will find the sandpaper in my area, but I'm sure it can be had online.

A couple of other notes, even if you do get into the base coat a bit.. Con-Cor Silver is (or used to be) the same as any basic silver color (testors as I recall).. black is the same as standard gloss black (very handy in renumbering TTX Autoracks)..   I've used the sanding method just to smooth the surface and just paint over the area, and you'd never notice the difference.. Once you get into yellows and browns for base coats, the sanding method becomes important..

Hopefully it works well for your project (Flying Yankee?). ~Ian
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!