Author Topic: Anyone Seen These In N Scale?  (Read 2671 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3461
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Anyone Seen These In N Scale?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »
For plastic I'd use three pieces and make a sandwich.  One wide strip, as wide as the vent is tall, for the leg, one narrow strip for the middle, and one medium width strip for the bent-over part.  Make each strip as thick as needed.  File the resulting sandwich round at the top and you have perfectly straight edges.  Then just cut as many pieces off as you need.

This makes perfect sense to me - thank you for your suggestion.  I'll be trying that this weekend.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 04:04:55 PM »
So I tried the styrene method and experimented with various sizes, then comparing them to the Eric smoke jacks which is about the only size reference I have.  I eventually settled on a strip of .020" x .030" for the main shaft, and .020" x .020" for the middle and downturned sections.  After gluing these together I cut down the top, cut off the corners at 45 degrees and then filed in the curve.

Here again is the best reference photograph I have:

And here is a photograph of my two styrene vents along with the smoke jacks:

I might try substituting a piece of .015" x .020" for the middle and outer pieces, but I think I can be happy with these two.  Thank you again for all the input,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »
Bluejacket Shipcrafters (and others) has various size J-vents, from too small to too large for N scale ships. I have been able to bend my own by gently heating styrene bar, and working it around the correct size brass rod or tubing. It's difficult, with perhaps one in three attempts looking OK; I find it easier just to buy them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:09:25 PM by pnolan48 »

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »
Thank you Pete - I will look into those and see what is on offer.  I was surprised at how small these had to be.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 06:05:42 PM »
Or, you can always ask for them to be lasered, easy to do  :D

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 10:24:49 PM »
Hmm,

Hadn't thought of Stonebridge. Interesting. Could you give me an idea of the material that might be appropriate? And what the cost range might be? Would you be doing just the master or could you provide 100-200? I ask because I think many modelers here are not familiar with what you can do on a custom basis and, like myself, would like to know more.

Tim,

On second look, the ship ventilators are probably too big (1/16" square) for a railroad car. I could swear they used to offer smaller ones that flew off the tips of my tweezers into the netherworld about half the time. Only my cats knew where they landed, and they would never tell--the vents were already eaten.