Author Topic: CB&Q shovelnoses  (Read 1516 times)

zephyr9900

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
CB&Q shovelnoses
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »
Hi all, I want to announce (for those who have not visited my website) that I am working on several CB&Q shovelnoses, starting with 9908 Silver Charger and the 9904-7 EA's, along with a shell for 4000 Aeolus streamlined Hudson.  They have been "some-day" projects for years, but I'm finally getting off dead center with them.  At this point I'm not sure whether to go the route of order-your-own Shapeways pieces, or whether to go the RTV-resin casting route.  I am starting to experiment with a Shapeways direct-printed chassis for Silver Charger.  I'll update the website as I make progress, and will welcome any feedback and suggestions.

Randy
http://www.prototrains.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: CB&Q shovelnoses
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:18:15 PM »
Good to see you making new models (available for sale) but you know what I'm yearning for!
Maybe you'll go back to you-know-what, sometime within my lifetime...  ;)
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:03:26 PM »
Interesting development.  What kind of mechinisms are you thinking would be a good fit?
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

zephyr9900

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:31:32 PM »
Peteski, I hope to have some progress to report on the Flying Yankee soon.

Brian, for the Silver Charger I'm thinking of a custom chassis to take the motor and one truck from a LifeLike E7, with a Kato prewar streamlined truck on the rear.  There are a couple of crude photos on my website now, which I hope to replace with better ones once I have a little time to set up a proper environment for the lighting.

But now that Kato is running their E5, it might be easier to source a motor and u-joint and power truck from them, at least for the time being.  Maybe I'll need to do two chassis...

For the EA/EB, I am envisioning a similar situation--a custom chassis to take the running gear from an older plastic-frame LifeLike FA, which has the right trucks.

Randy

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:54:22 PM »
Peteski, I hope to have some progress to report on the Flying Yankee soon.

Now that is music to my ears!   :D
. . . 42 . . .

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:41:54 PM »
Was going to ask about the EA/EB, I'd like a few....

cgw

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 07:35:59 AM »
I am so glade you are getting back to the models.  I have been waiting for a long time for general Pershing, silver king and silver queen.  Can't wait to see your results.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:13:04 AM »
Nice to see you are back in the saddle, Randy.

Shapeways won't be the answer for these, unless you are using FUD to create the complex parts and then overlaying with etched corrugations...

Putting the money into a finer rapid-prototyped part, to then be cast in resin, will probably work out better.  Finelines green, or one of the companies that use Perfactory, will get you a near perfect version right out of the machine.  But will probably be $400-500 for one part.