Author Topic: Atlas Coil Car  (Read 3532 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Atlas Coil Car
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:23:51 PM »
This is a great little car. 8)  First n scale car I've weathering since Bryan's x58 and LV gon - so the third n scale car in 2 years :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Trying to get more subtle.  I always thought I was - but looking at some of my earlier stuff recently, there is room for improvement. :tommann:

Ridgeline

• Respect: 0
Re: Atlas Coil Car
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:53:42 AM »
That is a beautiful thing! Where did you find this "subtle" and how much does it cost??  :D

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »
Wow that looks nice.   I agree, I need a bottle or two of that "subtle" stuff.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »
+1 Is that chaulk, or pigments? Very fine pattern on that. Well Done!  :tommann:

Also need to get me some of that stuff that Conrail HS banner of yours is pushing these days...

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »
It's not chalk.  I don't really use chalk too much.  What looks like light surface rust is actually Burnt Umber oil paint mixed (but not thoroughly) with water.  It is on top of Dirt, on top of Tarnished Black, on top of Burnt Umber that was lightly scrubbed off for variety, on top of Dullcote that sealed a base layer of Zinc Chromate Primer and Aged White.

Based on photos, I probably over faded the car... :facepalm:

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »
Hey looking real good there Tom!   8) 8) 8)   Interesting about the oil paints - just to be clear, did you mean the real oil-based type, not the water-mixable stuff?

Ed
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:07:28 PM by ednadolski »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »

I don't know... they fade at different rates, and to my eye this is totally believable. It's a thing of beauty.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 11:20:58 PM »
Very nice!  I agree that these cars seem to have faded very little so far and that this one may be a bit much.  That said, it's a very well done fade and kudos on the overall subtlety.  I can't wait to do some weathering again some day...

These Atlas cars are really sweet, BTW.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1296
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:54:18 PM »

I don't think it's too over done, these didn't last that long:

It would depend on what type of paint that got used.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »
So Tom, what's your airbrush of choice? Iwata is here at Springfield, of course, and I think it's time for me to (finally) get serious...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:41:58 PM by David K. Smith »

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »
It's a rare day that a scale modeler doesn't answer that with "Iwata".  The HP-CS is pretty much the universal standard.

Grex is just starting to make a push into the market, and they're pushing hard.  Their new pistol-trigger controls are all the rave, but I haven't had a chance to try one yet.  For modelers were fine motor control was somewhat of an issue, this may be important.  But they're also not likely to be N-scale modelers if that's an issue.  And most certainly not going to be T-gauge modelers.

Given your penchant for uber-detail work, the recently lauched Badger Krome may be to your liking.  The Renegade launch a few years back was sort of a dud for Badger, but they came back last year with the new Krome model in the lineup after adjusting to the feedback they got.  It's pretty much unmatched (consumer-grade-wise at least) at super small detail work and is otherwise compared very favorably to the HP-CS (teardown, cleanup, ergonomics, etc).  The only downside to it is the availability of spare parts versus an Iwata brush -- but if you don't have a Hobby Lobby near you that carries Iwata components anyways, and you've got to go online, that becomes a moot point anyways (nor is parts availability that big a deal IMHO, as you should rarely ever need one aside from perhaps scheduled preventative maintenance/replacement).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:32:04 PM by Hyperion »
-Mark

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
...if you don't have a Hobby Lobby near you...

I don't have anything near me. I'm a minimum of an hour and a half away from a hobby shop of any sort. I do everything online.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »
So Tom, what's your airbrush of choice? Iwata is here at Springfield, of course, and I think it's time for me to (finally) get serious...

Funny you ask that today!  I've been using an Iwata Eclipse HP BCS for 9 years, and today my new Iwata HP-C Plus arrived.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 06:30:22 PM »
I have an Iwata HP-B and an Iwata Revolution BCR. 
I also have a Paasche H that I do some of the heavy lifting with.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »
interesting thread jack - one more Iwata post and I think they have to start paying Tom a royalty!

Looking at the car he weathered, I actually like the look, and I think its ok as is.  The subtle weathering and rust on top is really well done - Tom since I have your book I have to ask if you dabbed with a paint brush or a make up swab?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B