Author Topic: Con-Cor Heavyweight Passenger Cars  (Read 1615 times)

kelleywpns

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Con-Cor Heavyweight Passenger Cars
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »
My first post to this forum, please bear with me.

I acquired a 5-car Con-Cor New Haven heavyweight passenger car set.  After doing some research, it appears that the Con-Cor models are a re-release of previous Rivarossi models.

I'd like to swap out the Rapido couplers.  I looked up the models on the MTL website.  According to the chart, there is no compatible truck swap.  So, looking at the coupler replacement, the chart recommends 1128, 1129 and 1130 couplers (which are short, medium and long shank respectively).  This may be a dumb question, but ... since they throw 3x options out there, which is the correct coupler for the replacement?  Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!
Modeling the New Haven and Boston & Maine

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
Re: Con-Cor Heavyweight Passenger Cars
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:55:14 PM »
Hi,

Try these

http://www.micro-trains.com/trucksCommonwealth6.php  but if you want more PS standard

http://www.micro-trains.com/trucks_6Passenger.php  and then body mount the couplers that Micro Trains is use on their Pullmans and follow up with Body Mount

001 02 000 Unassembled RDA body mount
couplers: 2 pr. (1015) short shank
(.312”) & 1 pr. (1016) med. shank(
.375”) body mount couplers.
(1015/1016) 3 pr. 6.45

001 02 001 Unassembled RDA body mount
couplers - Brown: 2 pr. (1015) short
shank (.312”) & 1 pr. (1016) med.
shank (.375”) body mount
couplers. (1015/1016-B) 3 pr. 6.45

http://www.micro-trains.com/PL.pdf

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

kelleywpns

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
Al

Thanks for the info.  I read some reviews on the commonwealth trucks that were positive.

Appreciate the advice.

Mike

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:34:38 PM »
Hi Mike,

You are not going to get a truck out there any better than MTL. Been around for years and are genuinely reliable.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

chicken45

• Crew
  • The guy who made DKS pee that one time.
  • Respect: +697
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »
Yeah, decide if you want to body mount the couplers or not. It's not that hard to body mount them, but there are things to consider. Plus, you should get a coupler gauge. It's clutch.
Josh "John" Surkosky
Darth Vader of Penn State
PRRT&HS Member
Bass Trombone Enthusiast
Bearded Dynamo
Kentucky Colonel

The Pig 
The pig, if I am not mistaken;
Supplies us sausage, ham, and bacon.
Let others say his heart is big—
I call it stupid of the pig.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »
Hi Mike,

You are not going to get a truck out there any better than MTL. Been around for years and are genuinely reliable.

Regards

Al

The trucks are fine but if you are using the truck mounted couplers, good luck. I have more unintended uncouplings with MT passenger trucks than any other out there, including good old rapido. Because of the design of the coupler box, the coupler has quite a bit of verticle play. Add that to the relatively long distance of the coupler from the bolster pin and any type of verticle curve at all will cause them to uncoupler from each other.

If you have the radius to pull it off, remove the couplers from the trucks and body mount. You will be much happier. Otherwise, leave the rapido's on or use the conversion couplers. The length of the coupler you choose will be related to the minimum radius of your layout and can only be determined by testing. I have a set of the Concor cars that came factory equiped with the MT conversion in the Rivarossi trucks and they work very well. Every car that I have replaced the entire truck with the MT truck is a problem child.
Tony Hines

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:26:39 PM »
I have had good experience with the MTL Heavyweight truck with couplers. I have two 13 car passenger trains that operates just a well on my layout as the newer trains with MTL heavy weight passenger cars.   My old heavy weights are from the early Rivarrossi run.
If the ConCors are a rerun of these older cars, I do not understand why trucks with mounted coupler should be a problem.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »
I have had good experience with the MTL Heavyweight truck with couplers. I have two 13 car passenger trains that operates just a well on my layout as the newer trains with MTL heavy weight passenger cars.   My old heavy weights are from the early Rivarrossi run.
If the ConCors are a rerun of these older cars, I do not understand why trucks with mounted coupler should be a problem.

Roger,
 On a flat layout such as yours, they work fine. When you start getting into grades and transitions is where the problem lies. I quit trying to use them on the Ntrak club layout because of the headaches.

Watch your cars go around, I bet more than just a few are hanging on by less than half a coupler. Just the variation in the sag of the couplers from truck to truck is enough to cause certain combinations of cars I have to not play nice together. The lightweight two axle trucks are worse than the three axle but both have issues.
Tony Hines

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 01:37:04 AM »
I'm constantly fighting the same problem with my Wheels of Time cars, they will stay coupled on perfectly flat track but the slightest uneven trackwork (like an Ntrak layout) and it becomes mayhem trying to keep up with the train.  I'm contemplating body mounting them all.  Has anyone had success body mounting MT couplers on WOT cars?

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:04:09 AM »
Tony, you are correct that my layout is nominally zero grade.  I think I shared some videos of one of my B&O passenger trains that is all Rivarrossi heavy weights with MTL 6 wheel trucks/couplers conversion.  Will check that video again.

kelleywpns

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »
Roger

Is the video you're talking about hung on YouTube?

Mike