Author Topic: plano TX train show  (Read 2110 times)

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
plano TX train show
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:24:17 PM »
anybody going to the Plano TX train show this weekend? hope to see you there! Gordon :D

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: plano TX train show
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »
Hm.  I had no idea there was one.

Plano's a ways away for the show unless it was really good (I'm in North Fort Worth -- NRH).  But there are a handful of Open Houses quite nearby in Colleyville, Haslet, Haltom City. amd Grapevine.  No addresses on any of them though.  I'd probably have to go all the way to Dallas to get the addresses.
-Mark

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »
Will probably be there briefly on Sunday.  I will actually go see some of the Ft Worth layouts on Sat., presuming they won't really ask to see my ticket to the show.

I am actually train showe out a bit, with WGH a few weeks ago.  Hope others don't feel the same.  Its usually a good show, but I even recall last year the same vendors, in the exact same spots, etc.  It may need some freshening up, at least IMHO.  But, I will go!

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:03:38 AM »
Hyperion the Plano show is a good one and is definitely worth tge drive across the Metroplex to go.

I am down in Austin and if I didn't have other commitments I'd go up this year.

ntex

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
The NTRAK club I belong to will be there.  Stop by and visit us TexN Modular Railroad Club.

Steve

zephyr9900

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »
I will be going, and hopefully visit a layout or two too.  Is my Google-fu lacking, or is there no layout information on the dfwtrainshows website besides the bare list?  I found an old Trinity River Interchange website with info on some of the layouts.  Will there be directions available at the show?  I'm looking forward to it.

Randy

jprince46

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »
I plan on attending on Saturday... This is usually one of the better shows around.  As for the layout tours, once you are inside there is usually a table in the hallway where you can pick up one of the pamphlets with the layouts, times and directions.

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »
No go for me this year. Y'all have fun.

Wyatt

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »
Can't make it this year, other commitments

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:29:47 PM »
Can't make it this year for us either. Too much going on here this weekend to attend.

For those interested, our LHS is hosting the 3rd annual Jacksonville (Arkansas) Train Show in September. Will post more information as time gets closer. Anyone who might be interested in being a vendor or setting up a layout PM or email me and I can get information to you.

mt

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 10:32:44 PM »
Well, I went to Plano early today, before it got crowded.  I had no intentions to buy anything, just looking you understand, but I did end up buying a Rapido duplex sleeper in NP/Loewy colors.  This is the first one of these for me and I am impressed.  Their colors are certainly closer to what I have seen of color photos of the North Coast Limited.

Now I have a problem with the colors of these Walthers NP/Loewy cars I bought awhile back :facepalm:

I guess I need to stay away from train shows....
Regards,
Paul

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 11:40:53 PM »
I made it over at about 3.  To say it was packed would be putting it mildly.  Parking was difficult to come by, and moving down the main aisle wasn't all that easy (particularly where some genius decided some vendor tables needed to be opposite the concessions, leaving about 3ft to travel through).

The layouts were mostly pretty decent, but I don't know if any were really great.  Certainly none were consistently good across all their modules -- except maybe the HOn3 guy who had a very short little setup in the middle of the main room, who had top-notch modeling, controlled lighting, furniture-grade fascia, etc; but a one-man operation of about 12' of railroad can do that pretty easy.  There was the ubiquitous N-trak layout that was superb in scope, but consisted of little beyond plywood and track and trains were hauling a$$ on its loops -- but no show is complete without at least 1 of those.  Trinity's N-Trak layout was as good as it always has been the few times or so I've seen it over the past 10 years or so in various configurations.

There were a handful of vendors with decent N-scale offerings and most were at fairly competitive pricing, though I was disappointed not to find Tex-N-Rails, as he's always had an awesome selection of stuff, even harder to find things, even if the prices weren't always the best.  Got to catch up with Chuck from Silver Spike Hobbies up in Denton -- he used to be my pusher a decade(+) ago when I went to school up in Denton.  Didn't end up buying anything from anyone, as everything I found was stuff readily available -- none of those good finds of stuff that's old or hard-to-find -- but I did have to force myself not to buy a box full of IMRC KCS Belle Hoppers.  But the wife would have freaked out if she saw what a box full of them cost -- and may have actually did the math on the many more, much larger, boxes of cars I have in the room already.  What I was really hoping for was finding a Kato SD70M without flared radiators to bash into an IC spartan-cab SD70, but the things are like hen's teeth and can fetch good prices even on the rare chance they pop up on eBay.
-Mark

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »
Hope someone posts some photos of this show afterwards. Thanks.

zephyr9900

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 11:28:49 AM »
The "standout" layout of the show was the indeed the Sn3 Elk Canyon & Western (the "HOn3" that Hyperion spoke of above) sectional layout.  Very British in its concept and execution-- sections with integral (and structural!) lighting valence aligned with pattern-makers dowels, traverser table fiddle yard (staging) with manual turntable at one end, operation from the front so the operators can interact with the public.  It is the club layout of the North Texas Narrow Gauge Group.  The lighting was outstanding--T5 fluorescent tubes for general "sky lighting" combined with halogen reflector bulbs for distinct shadows.  As Hyperion said, the visible structure is all stained and varnished maple because (as the flyer says) "We wanted the layout to be of furniture grade quality in order to convince spouses to allow the layout to be set up inside a home rather than out in the garage."  It is indeed beautiful--although of eggcrate internal structure, the front, back and top are all finished plywood.

Randy (who apparently can't post pictures until my 25-post probation is up)

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 03:25:22 PM »
Randy (who apparently can't post pictures until my 25-post probation is up)

Railwire doesn't provide picture hosting, no matter how many posts you have. :)

You have to have your own provision for getting pictures online, then you can link to them with the little Mona Lisa icon on the "Post reply" window--second row, second icon, just under the italic "I" and to the right of the Youtube icon.

Check this thread for details: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=26436.0
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...