Author Topic: Something for NYC Subway Fans  (Read 1255 times)

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
Re: Something for NYC Subway Fans
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
Very interesting as is and perhaps fodder for my bridge tender project.  I haven't worked with printed structures yet.  Can you bond styrene to it with conventional solvents and, if not, does ACC adhere to it?
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
Can you bond styrene to it with conventional solvents and, if not, does ACC adhere to it?

CA bonds fairly well to RP material. Most solvent-based adhesives won't work, however.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »
Hmmm... a little fancy for an under-the-track stair shelter at a ground-level passenger station but tempting.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
These are interesting! They open up a lot of possibilities for my city scene, including a "subterranean" level. I had one under my river on the Pittston and DeWitte but never photographed it, nor really showed it on the drawings.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:41:34 PM »
Thanks, David, for the information about gluing.  I found a web site http://chicagoloopbridges.com/index.html  that has the original engineering drawings for 18 bridges over both branches of the Chicago River in the Loop area.  Every bridge is of a unique design and each has a different design for the bridge tender's towers.  The roofs on the new Shapeways products are reminiscent of several of the bridge tender roofs.  I am only "suggesting" Chicago landmarks rather than rivet counting so this might be an answer to the roof issue.

One of you computer savvy folks may want to look at the Chicago bridge site engineering drawings which are very complete down to the rivets but, of course, only two dimensional.  If the drawings could be converted to 3D it is possible that the entire bridge could be a rapid prototype project though I expect it would be quite pricey.

Here is a small sample of the variety of bridge tender towers from the above site:

I printed out one of the site's drawings and sized it on the copier to approximately N scale.  I laminated it to foam core and blacked out the openings in the side chords and it has been a placeholder on the layout for the last two years.  BTW the red brick building with the clock tower is the same one ( opposite side) in the third proto photo above and is the former Chicago Traffic Court Building where I was assigned for several weeks each year to help with the backlog.

Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »
Very nice!!!  I am sorry to say that I have no need for such a structure but the design is very well done and I hope that those who model large metropolitan operations will avail themselves of your model!!!

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
I walk over any one of those bridges twice a day.  I could have taken pictures for you!
~ Matt