Author Topic: Fuel Tank Follies  (Read 1905 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Fuel Tank Follies
« on: January 11, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »
true Line Trains did a run of MLW Canadian RS 10's and RS 18's a few years ago and did a nice job over all. But they used the 2006 Atlas RS 11 frame and as a result the fuel tank they were stuck with is the "box" tank of an RS 11. The RS 10's and 18's fuel tank sloped inwards at the bottom on a 45 degree angle (EDIT - I FORGOT TO SAY, STEAM GENERATOR EQUIPPED UNITS... MY BAD).... great, except you really can't modify the existing tank because it's snug to the bottom of the frame.... I guess you could mill the frame down but "yesh"..... (I draw the line at that...)

Anyone out there done anything to modify the tank or have any ideas....?

Here's a link to an RS 10 tank for illustrative purposes....
http://cprdieselroster.com/Roster%20Archive/CP%208500A/CP%208575-3.jpg

Thanks in advance......Mike
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:48:13 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

johnhale

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
    • New Haven RR in N Scale
Re: Fuel Tank Follies
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »
Pudd,
  I have not, but knowing the RS-11 frame well, it can be cut down at that point with no impact to the locomotive. A file, and 20 mintes is all you need.

John
John Hale
1960's era New Haven Railroad

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:15:13 PM »
I'll mill them if you'll make the tanks, Pud. I've a nice power grinder at work that'll make short work of a fleet of them. Made modifying the B30 chassis for the M420 a breeze.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:23:57 PM »
Pud, that wider angled bit is actually the WATER tanks on either side of the fuel tank for passenger units.

See the RS-18 http://cprdieselroster.com/Roster%20Archive/CP%208700A/CP%208755.htm which has no steam generator or water tanks. It's the narrow, boxy fuel tank underneath it all.

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »
Pud, that wider angled bit is actually the WATER tanks on either side of the fuel tank for passenger units.

See the RS-18 http://cprdieselroster.com/Roster%20Archive/CP%208700A/CP%208755.htm which has no steam generator or water tanks. It's the narrow, boxy fuel tank underneath it all.

Yep; ( I forgot to say steam generator equipped units...my bad) but I just modified a RS 10 to be a passenger unit (wait for the Weekend Update)..... ergo.... "I gots a problem"...... :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:49:19 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »
Pud,
This style tank was on the Atlas RSD-12. It would be a good start for what you want. I tried to go online with the Atlas parts but was unable  to connect with their server. Not sure what the problem was, maybe someone else can chime in on that. Mark has a shot of the engine with the tank I am talking about and here's a link to it.
http://www.spookshow.net/loco/files/katorsd12.jpg

This is a link to the parts listing from the Atlas site that may be of help.
http://www.atlasrr.com/pdf/N%20ALCO%20RSD12%20DIESEL%20LOCO.pdf

You might even ask around here to see if anyone might have a spare tank laying around in some parts box just waiting to be used for this project.  :D

Jon
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:10:52 AM by central.vermont »

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »
Looks like the tank on the old Atlas RSD-12

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »
Jon; you are my hero...................I'm getting a few of those.......thanks mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 01:31:51 AM »
Hello Pud:

I ordered several of the Atlas RSD-12 fuel tanks from Atlas a few years ago.  Part number is #428029 and they represent the 1600 gal tank with angled sides.  They will snap into place on the Atlas/Kato RS-11 chassis.

I have built several RS-10s and RS-18s with the smaller straight-sided 1200 gal tank utilizing the Kaslo Shops resin kit, which unfortunately is no longer available.  These require some milling of the chassis, which if I recall correctly was done in a vise with a mill file.  The metal is quite soft and easily modified, but it is best to remove the mechanism to avoid contamination with metal dust.

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
  • Respect: +316
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 07:58:50 AM »
The RSD-12 tank fits also the newer Atlas RS-11 mech. You only have to cut off some of the tank sides which face the trucks so won't see anything of it.

Thomas
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »
Fortunately I don't have a web cam so you are spared seeing "da Pud" doing his "happy dance" (which is more like a mountain moving in an earthquake but what the hell...)  :facepalm: