Author Topic: peco crossover  (Read 1079 times)

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
peco crossover
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »
Can someone please point me at dimensional info for Peco double crossovers?  What is the overall length and centerline separation, and switch angle?  Comments on reliability, operability or tuning?  I am assuming that transitions to/from Atlas C55 are not an issue.

Thanks
Regards,
Paul

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: peco crossover
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:27:32 PM »
You mean the Peco "Code 55" version?  It's very well made but tricky to wire - I suggest you google around for information before buying.

And it does not directly or easily connect to Atlas Code 55.  Peco code 55 is Peco Code 80 with half the rail buried in the ties. It is EXTREMELY strong and amazingly reliable once it is down.  It has British tie dimensions, but with ballast and paint looks fantastic.

(BTW, I am a Peco Code 55 user and very happy, so I am not criticizing either product)

- Lou

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:30:02 PM by ljudice »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08:37 AM »
It isn't hard to connect Peco "code 55" to real C55, but getting the ties shimmed so both rails are at the same height can be tedious.

The actual connection can be done by filing the extra base off the Peco rail, turning it into real C55.  MicroEngineering rail joiners will work with the resulting rail, and I imagine Atlas will as well, though I haven't tried it.
N Kalanaga
Be well

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:03:24 PM »
Thanks. 

After poking around a bit, I found track diagrams on the Peco site.  And though they provide the length directly (10.669-in.) you basically have to get out a ruler to figure out some of the rest of it.  To me it looks like the centerline spacing is a little over 1 inch, rather than the 1-1/4 spacing standard.  And using this stuff for staging could be a bit dicey for folks like me with fat fingers.
Regards,
Paul