Author Topic: Wiring Atlas Code 55 turnouts using slide switches  (Read 15182 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Wiring Atlas Code 55 turnouts using slide switches
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
I needed one that would turn 90 degrees and give me the 1.5mm of travel on an armature I needed for the points. The control knob also needed to be small enough to modify into a scale switchstand. The whole idea was that, once intalled, you could operate the switch by sliding a small diameter chunk of tubing with slots cut to accept the target over the switchstand and twist 90 degrees... voila!!! A scale operating switchstand with functional targets!!! Nice idea... if I could find the hardware. Maybe DKS can invent us one!

Tough enough to find a rotary switch with 90-degree movements; then to find a micro-mini is an even taller order. But the show-stopper has to the the size of the knob. Ever see a scale switch stand? Functional targets are kind of useless when they're the size of an obese flea...

I have been working on this, trust me. It requires designing and manufacturing something from the ground up--there are simply no off-the-shelf solutions that I know about. And there's the rub: a completely custom product is going to be $$$...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:38:02 AM by David K. Smith »

NARmike

• Crew
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: +1
    • N Scale NAR
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
I agree 100%, David... that's why I gave up on the idea. Too bad because I would have loved to find a low cost solution.

Mike
Mike Maisonneuve
Modeling the Northern Alberta Railway's Peace River subdivision in N scale
http://nscalenar.blogspot.ca/

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
Another issue is surface mount versus embedded. A lot of guys just want to slap something on top of the layout, for any number of reasons, be it limited ability, or something lurking beneath the surface that's either in the way or inconvenient (like a foot of foam). But you can hide a multitude of sins (or a small refrigerator, if necessary) under the layout, which opens up all sorts of possibilities.

A while back I'd developed a ground throw based on a micro-mini toggle switch mounted vertically. All that showed was the tip of the switch. But it had a mount larger than most standard-sized slide switches, and that proved to be a big turn-off, even though the mount could be completely disguised with ballast.

It is a vexing little design puzzle, to be sure.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:54:40 AM by David K. Smith »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7956
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »
Can someone post up a link to a good source for the slide switches that aren't the Radio Shack ones? I can get them, but I'd rather buy in bulk (and potentially split the order up).

I know a few of you have done that, but I don't know where from.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
I thought you could power the frog from these slide switches, I just forget which kind you needed. I thought it was DPST but I could be mistaken. I think it was in the same reference Ed is looking for,

Phil
- Phil

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
SPDT. The center contact goes to the frog and the outers go to the corresponding stock rail. DPDT if you're messing with signals or panel indicators.

I got a chuckle out of Chris's belt-and-suspenders approach to use otherwise unused contacts on a DPDT. The switch contacts are the lowest-failure item in the whole shebang.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »
SPDT. The center contact goes to the frog and the outers go to the corresponding stock rail. DPDT if you're messing with signals or panel indicators.

Thanks, i had thought the DT was required for that. Was it Lee that had a source of these that was like $0.99 per?

Phil
- Phil

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
This is what I got on ebay in August.  They are small and perfect for the job, shipping was 10 days from HK

50 Pcs Mini 2 Positions ON/ON SPDT 3 Terminals Vertical S... (271028294399)
buonshopping | 81337 | 99.4%
Sale date: 24/08/12
US $4.61

C $4.54
Free shipping
Sell this item
View seller's other items
More actions

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
I could not find the ebay listing again, just the details from my buy last August.

There are lots of deals for similar bulk packs for around $5 postage-paid from ebay.  Probably the same ones that are sold at Radio Shack and Minatronics.

spr1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +217
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 07:43:33 PM »
A little late getting to this but this is what I do.

I run a wire from the atlas post on the turnout to the center pin on the slide switch, then one wire from each end of the switch to the track feed, polarity specific.

David P.
Dave P