Author Topic: Canton, Highlandtown and Fells Point - Compact layout  (Read 94977 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5395
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Canton, Highlandtown and Fells Point - Compact layout
« Reply #570 on: August 20, 2018, 05:36:15 PM »
TTrak, Ntrak, and all of the various offshoots, in my estimation, are wonderful vehicles for bringing people into the hobby.  The clubs are very social typically, and the standards make it easy to dip your toes in.

I know people who have modules they can snap in and out of their larger home layouts, and I even know of clubs who leave their modules set up for regular ops sessions.  None of that, with the possible exception of the last model, suit me.

I don't want to have to put everything back in boxes when it's quitting time.  I want to have a space where I can build and paint models, set them on the track, and enjoy switching some cars.

I like having a more or less permanent track plan, that let's me scratch my ops itch, cars destined for particular industries, etc. etc.  I don't want to run a Rubik's Cube layout that's different every time, that doesn't have a coherent theme, or that I have to wait for the third Sunday of the month to play with.

Just not my bag.  I'm really glad that avenue is out there, because it obviously has appeal, but not for me.
So, let me just thank you all for your ideas, I do appreciate them.  I'm not asking to be talked into or out of a decision, I'm just letting you know why you won't be seeing any more progress reports on this particular layout.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #571 on: August 20, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
+2
I appreciate the explanation, but of course you don't owe anyone an explanation.  It's your model railroad, your hobby, and your life, not ours!

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #572 on: August 20, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »

I think if and when I wade back in I'll be doing something along the lines of a lightly trafficked, heavily weathered branch line...

Lee

Lee, Go for it. I don't know what it is, but there's something about a lightly used branch line that has that up close a personal atmosphere. A line that sneaks through peoples back yards, is built with light rail, all the road crossings have cross bucks only, the ballast around the ties is at ground level and the few industries along the line know the crew on a first name basis. Such a branch line use to exist near my grandparents home. The line served a lumber yard, coal mine and heavy construction equipment company. The coal mine was the first to close in the 50's, the branch line limped on with a twice a week service into the mid 1970's, until the lumber yard closed. The line was then abandoned.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
« Reply #573 on: August 20, 2018, 07:33:44 PM »
I appreciate the explanation, but of course you don't owe anyone an explanation.  It's your model railroad, your hobby, and your life, not ours!
But wouldn't you rather have some sort of a layout - even if it didn't meet your ideal vision of what that would be - than no layout?
I'd be really disappointed if I didn't have something on which to run trains, even if it was limited to round-and-round or back-and-forth operation.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #574 on: August 20, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »
But wouldn't you rather have some sort of a layout - even if it didn't meet your ideal vision of what that would be - than no layout?
I'd be really disappointed if I didn't have something on which to run trains, even if it was limited to round-and-round or back-and-forth operation.

Are you asking me or are you asking Lee?

In either case it's not our place to convince...he made it clear he wasn't looking to be talked into or out of something.

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
« Reply #575 on: August 20, 2018, 09:06:27 PM »
+1
Lee,
 if you need to scratch the modeling itch I have been working with Ed on a future Western Maryland Eastern Sub through Westminster. When we get to building, extra hands are always welcome.  8)
David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
« Reply #576 on: August 20, 2018, 09:08:12 PM »
Are you asking me or are you asking Lee?
Perhaps both.
You stated that it's his model railroad, etc. - but it seems as though, for the foreseeable future, his model railroad will be no model railroad.

In either case it's not our place to convince...he made it clear he wasn't looking to be talked into or out of something.
If his personal definition of an acceptable model railroad is quite tightly constrained, and it's not presently possible to satisfy those constraints, then perhaps no model railroad is better for him than just any sort of a model railroad - unfortunate as that may seem.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #577 on: August 20, 2018, 09:13:14 PM »

That was sort of the attempt with this last one.  I wanted something simple, with a little bit of ops, and being small, a reasonable possibility of attaining a level of completeness.  But even with all of those elements in place, I didn't make space for it. 
It probably makes sense to step away from all o it for a while and see what's next.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #578 on: August 22, 2018, 12:18:04 AM »
+1
I've always had more of a bent toward operations, so the clip together roundy roundy ethos doesn't hold my interest.

Having done the room clogging full functioning main line layout, with all its pride and pitfalls, I think if and when I wade back in I'll be doing something along the lines of a lightly trafficked, heavily weathered branch line in (or on) a scale that requires a less vocational approach to the hobby...

We shall see.  The furniture projects may yet yield a layout in a cabinet such as the aborted Oxford Branch project I floundered around with a couple of years ago.

Lee

I liked the Oxford Branch...it was cool on so many fronts, especially the way it would have folded up in to the cabinet. I never paid much attention to the Eastern Shore railroad scene although I spent a lot of time there growing up but I picked up the PRR book at the RailBQ and I wish I had. Those Chris-Craft boats going out by rail were awesome.
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #579 on: September 02, 2018, 12:14:49 PM »
Having done the room clogging full functioning main line layout, with all its pride and pitfalls, I think if and when I wade back in I'll be doing something along the lines of a lightly trafficked, heavily weathered branch line in (or on) a scale that requires a less vocational approach to the hobby...

Lee

Ever heard of the Preston RR out in Crellin, MD?  They connected with the B & O at one end and they had a line that went to Parsons. I have an article from a magazine in '57 when they were opening up a new prep plant they said would keep the line alive for another 50 years...made it about 6 before it went bust.

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #580 on: September 06, 2018, 03:38:34 PM »
Hmm.  Interesting territory.  Can you scan the article and send it to me?  Might be an interesting read...
Lee
Rockin' It Old School