Author Topic: Scheduling my Vacation... 2013 N scale convention... Is it worth it?  (Read 5181 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Scheduling my Vacation... 2013 N scale convention... Is it worth it?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 08:33:46 PM »
Weird.. 100% of the Ian's who model Conrail on the list have the same 2013 travel plans :)...

Different dates though.. ~Ian

Winning
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »
Quote from: learmoia on Yesterday at 12:07:46
That's what I'm concerned with.. My other vacation option is fishing in Alaska, so there is some stiff competition.. But personal circumstances allows me the opportunity to go to Alaska almost every summer if I want too.. I went this year 2012, and if Milwaukee is worth it, I'll just go again in 2014.. If the convention looks to be a fizzle.. I'll shoot for Alaska and Trainfest.

~Ian

There are no fish left in Alaska. You might want to try walleye fishing in Minnesota!

Best wishes, Dave
There are no fish left in Alaska. You might want to try walleye fishing in Minnesota!

Best wishes, Dave

According to the science program I watched yesterday evening (while ballasting my track -- note the connection to our hobby) there are no fish left anywhere.  However, the dolphins thanked us for all the fish as they were leaving.

I think this may have something to do with the on-coming apocylipse that is due to occur on 21st December.

The science program I was watching was on BBC, and therefore is a lot more credible than say ABC or NBC. 
The program was called "Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy".

So, assuming there is a 2013, I think Milwaukee would be a great place to go!
Regards,
Paul

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Weird.. 100% of the Ian's who model Conrail on the list have the same 2013 travel plans :)...

Different dates though.. ~Ian

We have pretty strict quotas on these types of visitors. One at a time please!

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:59:39 AM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
Ala Holstein means that there is a fried egg and anchovies on top.  You can also get it plain but why?

Mostly because I don't think my baby cow needs an aborted baby chicken on it.   Sometimes a squirt of lemon, but if the veal is tender it doesn't need to be drowned in anything else!  Berghoff in Chicago is still the best weiner schnitzel, but Mader's in Milwaukee puts up a good fight.  Though Mader's has Spaten Optimator on tap which slightly edges out Berhoff's own dark beer.

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »
Sorry I cannot be more of a help, the last one I attended was in Boston, 1986 for my fathers brass importing company.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »
Mostly because I don't think my baby cow needs an aborted baby chicken on it.   Sometimes a squirt of lemon, but if the veal is tender it doesn't need to be drowned in anything else!  Berghoff in Chicago is still the best weiner schnitzel, but Mader's in Milwaukee puts up a good fight.  Though Mader's has Spaten Optimator on tap which slightly edges out Berhoff's own dark beer.

I plan to eat at Berghoff this weekend.  The wife and I are taking Amtrak up to attend Christkindlemart (sp?)

Off topic but the best Far Side cartoon ever was a couple eating bacon and eggs while two large chickens were hauling off the human's children.

Now back to where to find great food in Milwaukee......
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »
Though Mader's has Spaten Optimator on tap which slightly edges out Berhoff's own dark beer.

Oh Mike, Mike, Mike......

:facepalm:
~ Matt

kschmidt626

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
I plan to eat at Berghoff this weekend.  The wife and I are taking Amtrak up to attend Christkindlemart (sp?)

Off topic but the best Far Side cartoon ever was a couple eating bacon and eggs while two large chickens were hauling off the human's children.

Now back to where to find great food in Milwaukee......

The NSE Convention happens to fall during Summerfest in Milwaukee.  Some of Milwaukee's best restaurants are represented there along with multiple stages of great music right on the lakefront.  Nothing better than beer, food and music.   

I will be there, of course living in Milwaukee is a big plus.   

Keith Schmidt

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »
You really can't go wrong with Milwaukee in the summer.  Lots of activities - lake front, river walk, Summerfest, Harley Davidson museum, Miller brewery tour, custard (Kopps, Leons, Culvers, Oscars, etc...), Miller Park if the Brewers are in town.  Good variety of restaurants (German, Italian, Mexican).  We have some trains watching spots as well - UP Butler Yard, CP yard in the Menomonee Valley and CN/CP crossing in Duplainville (north of Waukesha). 

I have not been to an N scale convention yet, but will probably go this year because it is so close.

Scott

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
Almost forgot about the Hershey/Harrisburg convention the other year.  Not large but I did hava a grand time hanging out with the Conrail goons while there. 

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »
Comment Removed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:43:39 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

kschmidt626

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »
I just noticed that the information, schedule and some tour information is now posted on the N Scale Enthusiasts webpage.  The schedule is posted along with registration information.  Come Join Us in Milwaukee.  Even though right now its 26 degrees in late June the weather "should" be much nicer.   

http://www.nationalnscaleconvention.com/index.htm

Thanks,

Keith

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
Summerfest is also occuring at the same time.  Great music, food, and beer!   
~ Matt

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
Comment Removed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:48:44 PM by learmoia »
~Ian