Author Topic: Where Will N Scale Be in Ten Years?  (Read 3831 times)

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +505
Re: Where Will N Scale Be in Ten Years?
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »
And finally, I would like to imagine the ProtoMate as being the standard coupler of N Scale. (Well, I can dream, can't I?)

Now you are teasing us... 

Bremner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
Computer?  Keyboard, how quaint!   8) :ashat:
Computer.....Computer....

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
Perhaps at MR's 50th or 60th anniversary issue, they discussed the future of the hobby.  Someone brought up the idea of more computer gaming in MR, and that really does have potental to be the future of the hobby, with each of the scales being sort of a quaint boutique part of the rail enthusiasts hobby.  Construction is hard, and only enjoyed by a few.  On the other hand, gamers are starting to do photorealistic recreations of well known lines.

Think about it, and wonder if you like yard switching.  Would I like to model some scaled down version of something or perhaps a full scale video recreaton of my beloved Rossford Yard, compete with track changes for different eras, well researched schedules and actual engines and switch lists used that day, etc.?  And do it on a 90" 3D HD TV?  It might just be more satisfying to that inner need for train recreation, for me, for some, but of course, not for all.

Thinking more, I would actually bet that there would be some scaling for the game version of my yard.  I am not sure I would want to switch six hundred car frieght trains!  Condensing similar to how we do it now might break those yard jobs into the 45-60 minute segments most ops sessions break jobs into, as that is how long they hold our interest.  Not sure if mile long yards would be similarly shortened by half or third, but suspect they would.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Son of DKS
  • Respect: +548
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
The battery powered loss now being seen in O regularly and those making their way into HO will be in N scale due to advances in electronics and the decoders becoming smaller. We will no longer need to wire our layouts for electrical connectivity,

Phil

Good since the Red Arrow system relies on a 9v battery and a fairly massive infrared receiver.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher - Modeler of the PRR, PRSL, GWR, SZD, and DRG

WWII Clerk/Administration Historian

Switchboard Technician - 33rd Signal Construction Battalion (reenacted)

Squadron Clerk - Capital Wing, Airmans Preservation Society

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2849
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
I really don't understand the desire to wean our models off the track-supplied power and control signals. 
My view on this is that we can have our cake and eat it too by utilizing both technologoes (especially in smaller scales like N on indoor layouts).

While battery power has its place on large scale garden layouts, there is no need to be totally dependent on batteries on indoor layouts.  Batteries have limitations too (like needing to be charged or replaced).  Batteries also take up room inside the model, and they are usually lighter per cubic inch than metal used for locomotive chassis.

Why not just improve the existing technology:  Power and control signals through the track (that system is so very convenient), then use super-caps to allow the model to continue running over dirty track or dead track sections.  The control signals also do not require solid contact with track (as in the Lenz decoders).   Super-caps do no have very limited life of rechargeable batteries and they can also be charged very quickly. The track doesn't have to be clean either.   I think that this type of technology makes perfect sense and while it is available today, it is currently very underutilized.

Ten years from now, I envision ever smaller super-caps with even more capacity. That combined with track-supplied power  and control signals will yield very reliable operation with very little track maintenance.  I much rather see that than have our models run purely on rechargeable batteries.  I also much rather see the control signals supplied through track rather than radio waves or line-of-sight IR signals.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +393
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2013, 01:49:08 AM »
Peteski:  That's my thought as well.  Use a rechargeable power supply in the loco, but recharge it from the track.  Radio control is great, but it's also subject to interference from other users, as well as blocking by scenery.  Wire mesh can cause real problems on some frequencies, and the frequencies depend on the size of the mesh.  I'd hate to have to inspect all of my scenery and then use a calculator before buying a control system!
N Kalanaga
Be well

SD452XR

• Crew
  • What Would Ted Sheckler Do?
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »
Maybe someone will make all the Sunrise detail parts again.

Steve

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +5163
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2013, 11:10:13 AM »
...in my basement.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +175
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Regulators Mount Up at:
https://www.executiverail.com/

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 07:28:25 AM »
Walthers is still wrestling with the idea of what to do with N-scale while Atlas and MT continue to expand their heavyweight passenger car lines, and Kato working hard to compete with Fox Valley for the precious passenger train set dollars.  Sides from Brass Car Sides, Laser Horizons and M&R Models make modeling some of the more unique passenger cars easier to model with appropriate cores and detail parts being common... as would be a wider variety of steam locomotives that would prove to be a real draw for modelers in larger scales coming to our prefered scale... and a laser cut N&W wood cupola caboose has finally been released to satisfy all those who have wanted one for so many years...